Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My newest guilty pleasure/addiction: J-Pop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I can't believe I have become addicted to such a thing, but I can't stop listening to J-Pop (Japanese pop music). There is a lot of techno/trance/electronica in the style, along with the pop/rock. There is one singer named Ayumi Hamasaki that I cannot stop listening to. Does anyone else listen to her or that style of music?

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    no. just you.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    J pop, is that music similar to the band that is playing in Kill Bill Vol 1?

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

That's J-Rock, Japanese reinterpretation of American rock.

If you've played any of the more recent Final Fantasy games, you've probably heard J-pop, especially FF X-2.

5. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Sounds like someone is going to start playing Dance Dance Revolution now....

6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Actually, thats where I first heard her songs :D (Step Mania technically, which is the same thing)

And no, you will never see me dancing on one of the pads; I just play it on my keyboard using the up, down, left, and right keys. Its actually very addicting and quite fun, and I have noticed that it has helped me musically as well. Playing the game has actually aided my rhythm reading and interpretation a whole lot. As a music major, I'll take whatever help I can get!

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Go check out Kahimi Karie

8. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I will! Do you listen to this type of music, Kief?

9. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Same here, heard it from stepmania. I plan on making a hard pad sometime. I won't play in public. But it is a great and fun exercise.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I listen to everything.

11. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I haven't picked anything up in a few years but I have some Judy & Mary, Chisato Moritaka, Zard, Namie Amuro, My Little Lover, Ryoko Shinohara, Puffy and Spitz CDs (and countless others I can think of off the top of my head). I listen to them every once in awhile to keep my japanese chops in check.