My newest jazz concert

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Panda Licker, Apr 29, 2005.

1. This was the last one for the year folks. All the fun of being in the school band is over from here on out, and now its just music for the Concert band (which pretty much means, practicing music to play at senior graduation )

But last night we got to do our big jazz concert. The night started with me freaking out. I'm prone to anxiety attacks (its something to do with being bipolar. It sucks, but atleast I get cool drugs.) When my friend picked me up, she could see how stressed I was, and offered to get me high. Normally I wouldnt do it before something like this, but this seemed like the only thing to do.

After we pulled the car onto a deserted road to "make a phone call" we got to my school. I tuned up, put my bass on the stand, and hung out for a while, talking to anybody and everybody. Pot makes me social. So by the time that I actually had to play, I was completely relaxed.

The concert went great. I have NEVER played the songs that well. Even the songs that I normally suck at, I hit dead on. I got tons of compliments from people in the audience on my bass playing, and everybody in the band complimented me. And, this was also one of my first gigs on a fretless, and from what they told me, I was almost perfectly intonated for every song.

Our set list went (not in this order)

Swing Fever
    Bassa Madiera (Our best song. The closer)
    Georgia on my Mind
    Buffalo Head (our encore)
    St. Louis Blues (not a jazz band piece. The guitar class played it, and I got roped in)
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Rock around the Clock
    Take Five

There were a few others that I'm at a loss for. The show was great. I'm really proud of how I played, as well as how the entire band did. Our best gig of the year. We did so well that I even talked my band director into letting me get some of the band members into a small ensemble to play On Green Dolphin Street at our Concert band show (I called it my birthday present, since the show is on my birthday)

I hope somebody took the time to read this. Anything I said that sounded like total bragging really wasn't ment to be. I'm just really excited about how well it went, and I really dug how we played.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sweet! Glad it went well!! Hopefully someone has a video or pic for you to post
  3. Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
  4. golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    thats great, Glad it went well for you