Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Newest Spector - NS5CRFM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Here's a couple of pics of my newest Spector. Only negative thing I have to say about this one is that the tone controls don't have center indents like my Korean Rex. Other than that, its perfect.

2. One more .... the 5CRFM, the Rex, and the Explorer.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Mmmmmmm, is that Black Cherry??? I really do like that colour!

Hmmm, my older (like 3 years old!) NS5CR has the centre detents on the pots!

Oh, wait a minute, if yours is new it will have the Aguilar pre-amp! That might be why theyre different!

Nice collection of basses you've got there!:)

4. Yes, black cherry :D

It does have an aggie pre-amp, but only the 9V one ..... anyhow, its not big deal, I'm just used to those center marks.

Johnny, I think I've caught up with you in the Spector department now? heehh

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally I like the Aguilar OBP-1 ALOT better then the EMG BTS that was in the older ones!!!!

BTW, the battery clip is a Fishman voltage Doubler or something like that so the preamp is getting 18V. :)

Congrats on the AWESOME bass!!!!

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Just about! I'm still an SSD NS5CR up on you - but the electronics ain't even close to the EMG stuff (that's another project for me!):)

7. REally? How is this possible? Never heard of that before ... so why are the new ones true 18V systems?

need ... more ... info .... must ... google ......

:)

8. found my own answers via the manual on spectors website, duh:

"Aguilar OBP-1 : a transparent sounding 18V preamp system that does not add graininess or noise to the instrument. Spector utilizes a special "Voltage Doubler" which allows a single 9V battery to run the Aguilar 18V circuit enabling 18V operation while conserving space and providing ease of battery change.
    IMPORTANT: As opposed to the EMG and the Spector preamp, the Aguilar design calls for the Bass and Treble controls as FLAT (no boost) when the controls are in the full counterclockwise position. Most preamp designs utilize a "center detent" on the potentiometer which is their reference point for "flat."

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So you found out why there is no center detent. The OBP-1 is boost only.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Nice piece! Stuart makes the prettiest basses in the world

Rob

11. Nice bass. I'd love to get another Spector. I hope this doesn't mean your Rex will collect dust. How do the two compare playability and sound wise?

12. The aguilar preamp in the CRFM5 is truly amazing. To prevent the Rex collecting dust I am going to put one inside it!

Truly the new bass has much more punch to it. I like to switch between the two but the levels really change a lot, so if i put a new preamp in the Rex, that will be solved. Or maybe an outboard db-924 to make my life easier. Well, at least I now have two basses that I can live with for good and turn the GAS off :D

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Congrats on the new bass, the Black Cherry is my favorite! They are fantastic, my next bass will definitely be a Czech 5.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    <marquee>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA</marquee>

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Put an end to the gas?? Never.:D

16. My REX is 18V now. It sounds like a 01 Czech(nearly). Just needs active EMG's now...

:D

Congrats on the NS5CRFM! Is the treble frequency changeable like on your REX?

Soon(2 years) I will have a bolt-on US Spector 5, fretless, in black cherry.

Gard has one right now that I'd like ;).

LONG LIVE SPECTOR.

17. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Mine went 18v last night - nice!

Have you played about with the dip switches on your pre-amp yet?

That's my next experiment!

After that, I'll upgrade my NS5CR to 18v and see how it handles!

18. Yeah, they come factory default as 4.5Khz, which for me adds too much treble in the wrong places. You can stick it up to 7Khz, which does nothing unless you're slapping and popping. 3.5Khz is OK, but it didn't have the effect I wanted. 2.1Khz adds 'throatiness' to my sound. When I boost the bass knob along with it, it cuts like a demon.

[​IMG]

19. hey what settings did you use for that on the switches? I got two contradictory charts off the web .... and according to the Spector on, the default setting was not 4.5kz. So I was confused.

20. Hello everyone,

Never mind the spector talk..........

What's a G***** doing in the background?!

:mad: :D

-insighted