My newly re-finished bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonorous, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

Ibanez SR505.

I messed up in few spots, thanks to my my inexperience. There isn't much of a grain pattern either, but I still like it much more than the full black.

What do you guys think?
  2. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    What a difference it makes to the bass. I like it much more now.
  3. As the person who did the Extreme Makeover - Bass Edition thread, I give you good marks on a bass that is much better looking now than before. For me, wood grain tops paint any day. :smug:
  4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the support guys.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

7. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002

That is very nice done.
    How long did this process take you?
  8. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    Love the Ibanez! I hate black paint on any instrument, natural looks sooo much better.
  9. very good job. looks loads better.
  10. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    A vast improvement! Good job! :D
  11. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003

That was the wood under the paint? Looks very nice!

12. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I believe I started last Wednesday or Thursday, and finished on Monday. A lax schedule, sanded when I felt like it.

If you look closely, you can see an ugly coloration difference near the top, on the inside of the upper horn. Also to the left of the bridge there is a similar spot.

These were caused when I sanded through some kind of clear coat sealer on accident. Since it's just an inexpensive Ibanez I got for $290 I didn't really feel it needed to be perfect so I didn't sand all of it off.

In addition, there is a bit of value difference around the lower horn. This is just from being inexperience at staining.

The wood underneath was maple. I used a brown mahogany stain to give it nice tanish-golden color. Then used a few coats of a polyurethane satin finish.
  13. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Nice job, plus you can always just refinish it again. Think of this time as a practice run. ;)
  14. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Great job man. You had pretty good grain under that paint.

I'm actually going in the opposite direction with a Modulus Q6 body. I hated the figure on the top... below average. Must have been a -A. Anyway I sent it to Roxy for pearl white paint. Should be back any day now.
  15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    LIES! you bought a new bass! but really cool! i take it from what i read u just sanded it and stained it? I might try somethign of the likes on my old aria for kicks later on, the midnight blue is getting very uhm how you say..... :spit:
  16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX