My newly stripped bass is made of...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waxcomb, Sep 29, 2004.

1. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA

It's a Tanara P copy from the late 80's. Tanara was the Squier of Ibanez. I have taken the frets out, added the provided thumbrest, added a Fender bridge cover and reshaped the headstock. I wanted to go natural.

I was expecting a few pieces of ugly, but solid wood glued together. I saw that the top was one piece and I was happy. Then i stripped the control cavity and noticed the lines. ***?

I'm trying to figure out what to do next. Try to make my own body? Reshape it like a Tele? Eddie Van Halen stripes? Firewood? I can't go Warmouth because the dimensions are nowhere near to Fender specs. I have never made a body and I don't have a bandsaw or a router.

This bass does not get played much at all any more, but it was my first. Any suggestions?
  2. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    The Squier of Ibanez? That must be pretty bad :p.

I'd say go with the Eddie Van Halen stripes of the Tele shape. Both are kinda sexy. Or do a 60's flower power thing with it. Or paint it pink.
  3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Paint it a dirty pink, crap basses always look cooler when theyre painted horrible colors.
  4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Get some spray-on truck bed liner and do yourself a one coat finish like is on the Ernie Ball SUB basses. Tough, easy to apply, and looks reasonably cool.
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    There have been some good sounding basses that were plywood. Don't dismiss it out-of-hand. Plus, $2400 Parkers are plywood.
  6. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    Did you at least like it before you knew it was plywood?

My Gretsch is made of plywood. So are all Gretsch's and most hollowbodies.

Paint it your favorite color. I like the Pink idea. I also like the EVH idea. I had a really crappy pbass as my first bass. When I was 15 or 16 I painted it white with regular spray paint and put black electrical tape on it. It looked horrible.
  7. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    My Jay Turser Beatle bass is plywood, but you'd never know from the outside---great finish, and sounds excellent, too.
  8. i have a lyon P. lyon is a washburn imprint. it is made of plywood and sounds incredible. i put a bartolini P pickup in it and really enjoy its sound.

it began its life white, but i have hand-painted it silver, and it looks really cool.

9. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Well, my biggest problem is that I was all hyped up about the clear finish with a black guard. It would have had that Marcus Miller Jazz scheme. I was also thinking of putting on a wood pickguard. Those ideas are gone if it doesn't look somewhat cool when I'm done with the finish. There won't be much grain and the beveled area will be all stripey.

It never had great tone and I don't play it at all. I have more basses than I regularly play.

I may try the Tele shape and add the original pickup back to it near the neck. Might as well see how much I can do. It can't get much worse. Anything but pink. TIme to get some Schwinn bike paint and sone masking tape.
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Then why in the world would you bother throwing more money at it??
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Because he also has more money than he can regularly use? :rolleyes:
  12. How about a sunburst finish? That way you cover up the lines on the edge but still can enjoy the look of the top layer.
  13. Well THERE is a good idea! You seemed to like the top wood, just make the edges black and sunburst the top.
  14. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I don't have tons of money to throw into this bass, I just like to experiment on it because it is the cheapest of my babies. I have grown a collection over the last 13 years and this gets the most twisted of my ideas.

I'm also thinking of using the parts for other projects. I'm thinking of making a canoe paddle bass with two strings and one P bass pickup. It may not be posible, but I'll try. I already have a Steinberger, that's not what I mean. I will use a real paddle. Hmmmmm... and play Rolling on a River? :cool: