Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My next bass - active PBass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velkov, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I was playing around with this MIM P-bass at a store yesterday and while I loved the ugly mid-rangy bark, I thought the scooped, smily face sound is pretty good too. I was playing through an amp that had a 4-band EQ and after boosting up the low-mids and highs and cutting the high-mids, that Pbass was begging to be slapped. A lot of people don't like P-basses for slapping but I loved it.

So, here's my plan: get a Mexican PBass off of ebay, sunburst in colour. Shield it, like I did with my mexican jazz. Put a Gotoh-201 in and a tortoise pickguard. Get the EMG-EXB bass expander circuit and a concentric pot for my volume and passive tone. I'll also put a passive/active switch in it so I can switch between my passive tone control and the EXB preamp easily. The only problem is that I'll need to put a batery somewhere and taking off the pickguard every time I want to change the battery would be a pain.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?

2. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
  3. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Yeah, I heard about the Raven labs preamp. The reason I don't want that is because I like the sounds I get by rolling off the highs with the passive tone. I don't know if I can do that with the Raven Labs preamp. And with my design I'll still keep my passive tone.

4. That Raven labs preamp is pretty darn cool. I don't like the idea of bass boost or treble boost.

I may have misunderstood what it was saying, but turning the Tone knob one way boosts the bass, while turning it another way boosts the treble.

I do like the fact that there is not modification required, though. If they made it with a stacked pot, lower controling bass and upper controling treble boosts, that would be sweet and well worth the $120 retail price.

I'd rather get a 2 band EQ preamp, and either put another hle in the pickguard, or run the jack out the side of the body.

I still would love to get a preamp and activate my P bass.

5. I just put the Raven Labs retrofit preamp into my MIA P. One word- awesome. I dont know if the treble side is really useful, but I love the way it sounds with the knob turned to boos the bass. This P really has some thump! I was playing bass at church last night and the sound guy made me turn the bass down on the amp, he didnt know I had a different preamp and was shaking the church when I hit C. Pretty cool and well worth the money.

jtbp