1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My next bass - active PBass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velkov, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I was playing around with this MIM P-bass at a store yesterday and while I loved the ugly mid-rangy bark, I thought the scooped, smily face sound is pretty good too. I was playing through an amp that had a 4-band EQ and after boosting up the low-mids and highs and cutting the high-mids, that Pbass was begging to be slapped. A lot of people don't like P-basses for slapping but I loved it.

So, here's my plan: get a Mexican PBass off of ebay, sunburst in colour. Shield it, like I did with my mexican jazz. Put a Gotoh-201 in and a tortoise pickguard. Get the EMG-EXB bass expander circuit and a concentric pot for my volume and passive tone. I'll also put a passive/active switch in it so I can switch between my passive tone control and the EXB preamp easily. The only problem is that I'll need to put a batery somewhere and taking off the pickguard every time I want to change the battery would be a pain.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?

2. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
  3. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Yeah, I heard about the Raven labs preamp. The reason I don't want that is because I like the sounds I get by rolling off the highs with the passive tone. I don't know if I can do that with the Raven Labs preamp. And with my design I'll still keep my passive tone.

4. That Raven labs preamp is pretty darn cool. I don't like the idea of bass boost or treble boost.

I may have misunderstood what it was saying, but turning the Tone knob one way boosts the bass, while turning it another way boosts the treble.

I do like the fact that there is not modification required, though. If they made it with a stacked pot, lower controling bass and upper controling treble boosts, that would be sweet and well worth the $120 retail price.

I'd rather get a 2 band EQ preamp, and either put another hle in the pickguard, or run the jack out the side of the body.

I still would love to get a preamp and activate my P bass.

5. I just put the Raven Labs retrofit preamp into my MIA P. One word- awesome. I dont know if the treble side is really useful, but I love the way it sounds with the knob turned to boos the bass. This P really has some thump! I was playing bass at church last night and the sound guy made me turn the bass down on the amp, he didnt know I had a different preamp and was shaking the church when I hit C. Pretty cool and well worth the money.

jtbp