My next bass? Debating between Lakland and Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rutherford_Fan, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Rutherford_Fan

Rutherford_Fan Guest

Dec 27, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Hi, everyone.

I have been playing bass for 12 years and have owned some great instruments in those years. Right now, I am in possession of:

- 4-string Warwick Corvette Standard Fretless (German)
    - 4-string Rickenbacker 4003 in Fireglo
    - 4-string Fender Jazz Bass (MIM) with EMG p-ups
    - 5-string Music Man Bongo H-H with Piezos at bridge
    - 4-string Squier Classic Vibe '51-style P-bass

I generally play the modified Fender Jazz bass or theBongo these days, but I am very, very finicky about a certain 'tone' that I am obsessed with these past two years or so. And I can only get a crude approximation of it with the basses I own.

Basically, the tone I speak of would be best exemplified by a P-J p-up configuration, especially bar magnet (not pole-piece) p-ups. It has a special attribute where the attack tends to be both delayed slightly AND is softened. But with the single coil in the bridge, you also do not lose any 'bite' and enunciation. THAT is what I crave.

The Jazz bass comes close, but the p-ups are single-coil and very thin, so I cannot get the delayed attack. The Bongo can be configured so that 'my tone' is achieved, but the pole pieces are exposed and they have Neodynium (sp?) magnets which take away from the warmth of the tone I desire.

I have decided to limit my next bass to the following:

Lakland Skyline- 4-string fretted: I don't know the model name, but I desire the one with the HumBucker Soapbar at the bridge and pole-less J pickup above it.

Spector Euro- 4-string fretted: I want the one with either the P-J configuration OR the one with two soapbars.

So, please, owners of either bass, tell me which one will get me that elusive tone the best! And, heck, if I am neglecting a bass with those properties in the $1200-$2000 range, let me know!!

2. Out of those two I would lean towards the Lakland for sure. The 44-02 is the one your after. I own a 2006 5 string Korean version (55-02 Deluxe) and absolutely love it. Perfect blend between a J-bass and a Stingray/Bongo. If you cant get the tone you like with it your doing something wrong, the EQ is so versatile and the build quality is on par with my 2011 MIA P-bass. I've only played one Spector before (Spector Legend) and found its tone to be very unique but not the most versatile... Not sure if thats what your after. A Spector sounds like a Spector, whereas a Lakland 44-02 can emulate many basses while still retaining its own unique tone.

3. Rutherford_Fan

Rutherford_Fan Guest

Dec 27, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks for the valuable input, Scotch11.

I have heard from many, many people that you can dial in a wide array of different tones on a Lakland, and that is certainly something that would attract me to the Lakland over the Spector.

Also, thanks for the model number!

I would like to hear from anyone else as well! Thanks in advance.

4. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I have owned a Spector NS4CR (euro predecessor) since 1994 with the P-J (active) config, and I can tell you that they possess a signature "growl". There are many on-board preamp choices which will give you control over your sound. The new Spector TonePump has a trim pot which allows you to dial back the heavy low end as needed. The original Hazard pre-amp provides a beautiful combination of punch, growl, and thunderous low-end.
    You are very particular about your sound; whatever you do, play the instrument before buying it. Only you will know if it's what you like.
    Personally, I love the small, curved body of the Spectors; it is so comfortable to play!
    I cannot stand anything that is remotely Fender-looking, so Spector is just what the Dr. ordered.
    :)

5. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    I would say hands down you want the spector. If you are digging the Jazz with EMTs then Spector would be your dog.

I owned a 44-02. IMO and IME not a very good bass. NOT agressive for sure.

6. Rutherford_Fan

Rutherford_Fan Guest

Dec 27, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Maybe I phrased my 'tone' incorrectly. It is actually not very aggressive sounding at all. In fact, it is rather smooth and 'refined' sounding without too much of an edge.

The 'heart' of the tone is basically the use of a wider humbucker or p-pickup essentially. It provides the 'fat' sound and the classic 'delayed attack' I speak so fondly about haha! But the addition of a single-coil or an approximation in a MM-like pickup somewhere is necessary so that I can combine the fat thump of the p-pickup with something with 'forward attack' and 'snap' but that 'snap' needs to be quite 'contained' and subtle.

You all are correct, it is a very, very precise tone that I want. But after 12 years of playing two hours or more every day, I think I finally have narrowed down what I want, which is a good thing....I think!!

EDIT: Also worth noting is that I plan on buying a used instrument, preferably off of this forum's marketplace. So perhaps with a $1200-$2000 budget, I could actually afford more than I think. I don't know? Let me know your thoughts.

7. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    I just reread your op. My bad.

Sounds like you really need to play some basses. :)

I really was not happy with my 44-02. I had it for about 3 years and never could make it work. From what I have read Lakeland USA is much better. So maybe a 44-94 would be worth checking out too. I'm not sure how much they are though....

Edit: Wow! $3600 for a 44-94!!! Yikes!

8. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Based on your current collection, I would say the Spector. It seems you have most of your Basses coverred.

Enjoy.

9. Rutherford_Fan

Rutherford_Fan Guest

Dec 27, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Man! I wish I could get my hands on one of these basses do I can make an informed decision. But none of the music stores near my house carry them. I live about 35 minutes from Baltimore, MD in Pennsyvlania by the way. Maybe I am missing out on a store. I usually hit up Bill's Music in Catonsville and the GC's in Lancaster Pa and Towson, Md.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs Commercial User

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Try Chuck's (Washington music center, no too far from the rockville GC). I bought my Euro 5lx from there.

11. Rutherford_Fan

Rutherford_Fan Guest

Dec 27, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Thank you much for the suggestion. I am currently in Mississippi to help my aged grandparents, but I return to Lancaster PA on Saturday, so I will try to get in a trip to "Chuck's" some time within the following week!

Does anyone else have a suggestion as to which one to get? Or, additionally, am I COMPLETELY overlooking a bass guitar that would produce, with ease, the tone I seek?

I often wonder about just getting a MIM Fender P-Bass Special since it has a PJ configuration. But I would have to replace the P-Ups with something like Bartolini or EMG since the exposed pole pieces detract a certain 'velvety' character to the 'tone' I love so dearly. I need bar magnet pickups. Tell me a bit about that possibility since I could get a good, used P Bass Special for $500 and modify the p-ups for another $200 easily.

12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs Commercial User

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Just for S&G's here's a link to some of what they have in stock, some legend, performers, euro and USA.......if you go there, ask for Brian Meader, he's a cool guy.....been there for a long time. It's one of PJ Rubal's old stomping grounds......

Spector - BuyFromChucks.com