1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My next bass. Possibly Cort Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve2, Mar 21, 2006.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I currently own 1 bass a MIM Fender Jazz with Custom 60's pups. I really like the sound and the way it plays however I am thinking of buying a second bass maybe something with active pickups possibly a 5 string. (I have never played a 5 string). Any suggestions in the under $500 range. One bass I seen on the web that I like the looks is a Cort Curbow. Any suggestions. Right now the only music I play is Contempory Christian and Praise and Worship. Thanks

Steve

2. I have a Cort Curbow Six, It's fairly decent for the price, although I find mine has a weak B string (quite possibly do to set up issues though)

The only thing that I really dislike about this bass is the tendency to slip off your leg while playing sitting down, the bottom horn, and body in general are both pretty small

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I picked up a Cort Curbow recently and was surprised at how nice it was and how much I liked it. I will say that the body is REALLY small. So you should check it out in person before buying.

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

Dude, your name is almost mine. :O

Anyways, I say if you want a curbow, go for it... just be sure to play one before to make sure you dig the style of it. I personally don't really. If you don't mind used, I suggest an Ibanez SR505 (the current model ones, not the old ones).

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I had a Curbow 5 for a while, and there were some things I really liked about it, and 2 things that really bugged me. The things that bugged me were:

A. I had to shim the neck to get the action where I wanted it, and the bridge wouldn't go low enough to accomodate how low the action could actually go. I wound up taking the bridge off and digging a bit with a chisel. Wasn't a good idea as it ain't wood that the bass is made of and I didn't gain all that much. Not sure if it was just my particular bass that had that problem, but I also owned another Cort and had to shim that neck too. I never had to shim a neck on any of my basses but these.

B. The pickup was a little too noisy for my taste. I like quiet pickups. Just about all my basses have been active, and really silent. This thing buzzed quite a bit when I turned up the treble.

What I liked was once I got the action where I wanted it, it felt awesome. It was a reall easy playing bass, and I dug the tone. It was warm, yet could get a growly kind sound also. Looked cool too (I like odd shaped basses) and was light and easy to play.

6. I got my grubby little paws onto Cort A5 and B4 Artisans this past Sunday, and was blown away by.. well, everything! Cort is really putting their names back on the map, and giving brands like Ibanez a run for their money. I pick the A/B series Artisan from Cort over the Ibanez SDGR models, anyday, I'm truly converted.

-ryan-

7. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    I had a curbow played and sounded great after the upgrades i put in it. I threw an aguilar onboard 18v pre and a better bartoliny soap bar. The action was lown and didn't buzz, but the b string was not the tightest. Played well and sounded well for 250 dollars off ebay and 180 in upgrades.

8. The Ibanez SR505 is a pretty nice bass -- it's definitely worth a look.

Regarding the Curbow, I have always wanted to ask this question ... How do those of you who have one play it sitting down?

I played one at GC and found this to be virtually impossible.

9. You get used to it after awhile, but it also involves holding it a bit with your fretted hand, and leaning your plucking arm on it.

Really akward at first, but like many other things, with a little time it becomes comfortable

10. bubingaboy

bubingaboy

Oct 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I had a Cort Curbow six string. I was using it basically as a trigger for my Roland V-Bass pickup (GK-2B).

The drawbacks I found with this bass were:
    1) As everyone else has said, it CONSTANTLY slips off my leg. It was this bass that has convinced me balance is really important both sitting and standing. I like to practice sitting down and this bass never made me want to practice.
    2) Neck warping - oh my goodness. Any time there was a temperature change or a change in humidity (or someone breathed on it directly) there was neck warp and the truss had to be adjusted. Not that this is bad if adjusting the neck EVERY TIME there is a change in environment (even slight changes) is your thing.
    3) The body is made of luthite (in other words... plastic...). The fretboard is made of ebonol (in other words... plastic..). Every time I took the bass out it filled the room with the aroma of petroleum. MMMMmmmmm.... nothing like smelling like... a gas station? The plastic just didn't feel nice under my fingers (and the smell....).

The good things about this bass:
    1) The price.

I bought it new from Musicians Friend for like $499. I wanted the warranty. I pretty much sold it for the same price (I think it was around $473 once the insurance check came in). Fortunately I didn't loose much on the deal.

I would advise against this bass and look towards something else in this price range (Ibanez, LTD, etc). That is unless neck warping, lap sliding and gas stations are your thing.

11. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well i play a cort curbow in a modern praise and worship band, and i like it. i think the tone is alot different from a traditional bass made of wood, but the luthite does have it's own sound which isn't bad, maybe due to the bart mk1 pickup in it. i will say this though, the neck on mine needs a truss rod adjustment, as the neck is a little bowed, but i don't blame this on the bass. the only negative thing i can say about it is that although it sounds good, the A, D, and G string sound a little thin, but with some adjustment to the tone controls, they will sound okay.

12. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I was looking for an inexpensive fiver and bought a Cort Curbow four months ago. Body syle is funky but very useable if not sitting down. The B string is great but of course this is after I set it up. It amazes me the people who say such and such a brand is not their cup of tea and have never set-up a bass to their own specs. The bart pup is a little on the noisey side but I am pleased with the tone. I have had zero neck issues.
    Play all the fivers that you can before making deciding; the hunt is half the fun IMO. Oh, and the smell of gasoline is,well, rather dramatic. I think it adds a little class when covering At The Gates. Good luck with your search.....:bassist:

13. You know, I must have gotten lucky or something, but my cort curbow has never smelled, ever