Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My next bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basstyra, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Hello guys,

I need your help, I want to change my bass.

My current is a MIJ Jazzbass, reissu '75, ash, Seymour Duncan pickups, Gotoh bridge. Great bass, but well... I have spend more than one year on now, and want to go further.

The problem is that I don't know very much basses above mine. There are a lot of brands/models I know nothing about, the list is too long. I know about Yamaha, Cort, Fender, Warwick, and so on, but nothing (or little...) about Pedulla, Spector, Alembic...

My question is, could you indicate me some models who could satisfy me ?

Of course, here are my needs :
    *Well built, I'm looking for a great instrument, an improvment compared to my jazzbass, which is a great jazzbass.
    *Flat fretboard, or almost flat. I don't like heavily radiused fretboard.
    *I would prefer neck-throu, I prefer the feeling, but well...
    *great tone. I would like it to sound heavily, right-in-your-face.
    *passive or active, don't really care.
    *I prefer P and J pickups over soapbar.
    *I'm looking for a pickup configuration with 2 pickups, and where the 3 configurations could be usable (bridge pickup should not miss depth, neck pickup should not miss precision).
    *Don't really care about weight, my jazzbass is allready very heavy.
    *For now, I found myself to be happy with basses that are described as "slap/tap machines". I'm not really a slapper, but I like playing chords, and those basses are great for that.
    *I'm looking for a dynamic bass, where you can play piano, and then forte, without touching the controls, just with your fingers.

That's all I can see so far. I really don't know if that's enough to precise my search.

I tested recently some models : Spector Euro 4, great bass, perfectly fitting all of this. Vigier Arpege, also great. I'm testing an early Status tomorrow.

So, to what basses do my needs make you think of ? Any remark would really help me precise all this.

2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    hey dude if your selling that ill buy that can you ship to canada?

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    => PM ! ;)

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Nobody could help, maybe just giving his feelings about one particular bass ?

This world of "great" basses is really new for me, the best bass I knew was the Musicman Stingray. So testing this Spector opened me something new.

If I tell you I need a great "modern sounding" bass, what do you guys think about ?

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Modern, I think of a bass with soapbars sadly. The Schecter Custom 4 has a nice modern sound, but isn't overly hi-fi. I just played one today.

6. ruffroka321

ruffroka321

Sep 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    i don't know exactly what you should get. You should try lots of stuff out, but it all depends on how you want to feel and sound. For a bassy low end tone i would go with a nice spector (they right out beautifully). for more of a snappy/jazzy sound i would go with a custom shop fender jazz, ernie ball music man, or some kind of epiphone thing(but i personally dont like the epiphones very much) Another bass that has amazing thunderous sound is the yamaha Billy Sheehan custom.

hope that will help

7. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Well yes, I'm trying lots of stuff right now. I tested Spector, I must say it's great. I tested Vigier, great too, Im' testing a Status in on hour.

I would prefer not to go to Fender again, and I allready tested Musicman, it's good but not for what I'm searching for for now.

Another problem is that here in Lyon, France, expensive basses like those are not really easy to find to test...

8. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    The one question that I have for you is maybe you could tell us what you DON'T like about your Fender Jazz, and why you want to stay away from Fender. I realize that you're looking for a status symbol bass, but I am not sure what sound/feel you're trying to "improve" on. You mentioned wanting a bass "above" the Fender, but I am trying to thing what "above" means (other than it costs a ton more money). If you've got a MIJ Fender, you've got a pretty sweet axe already.

:bassist:

9. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    That's a smart question. And yes, it's a bass I've been happy with for one year, and I'm still happy, I must say. Excepted some details.

*only 20 frets, AND hard access to the upper ones. Compared to my former Yamaha Attitude for example, it had 21 frets, but the upper ones were easy to play, really, even the 21th. On my jazz I have difficulties to play even the 19th.
    *Really, really heavy, if I could change for a lighter one... And it won't be difficult for a newer bass to be ligther !
    *But that is detail. Most important, the sound. Great sound, yeah, but... I miss something. I don't know exactly how to name it, maybe attack.

All of this, plus the fact that I want to change, after one year on the same bass, and a wish to widen my knowledge about basses, in order to precise the sound I'm looking for.

I tested a Status today, carbon neck-throu, headless, an older model. It was wonderful, a precise sound you can't imagine, but missed almost the same thing my jazzbass miss. The possibility to have very right attack. It's hard to tell, even in french (my mothertongue) I have difficulties to express that. Maybe it's because it's not clear enough in my head, I don't know.

For now, I tested a Spector Euro and a Vigier Arpege, both were more what I'm looking for right now.

When I say "improvment", it's in fact relative. I'm not a good player, I allready don't take all the possibilities of my jazzbass, I know. And maybe having a "better" bass won't be the issue, maybe I could keep my bass and work on my technic. Lots of questions here... An "improvment" would be for example a better sounding open E string (For me, it's a way to determine if a bass is good, if the open E string sounds good, very good, not good, poor...It's also the first thing a friend of mine tests when she's testing double basses, the open E string).

Maybe something which could help. If you know this video where Les Claypool plays the intro of Master of Puppets on his bass. It's the kind of sound, of playing, I assume it's also linked to light strings and of course to technic. I'm not saying I want to play like Claypool !!! I'm expressing that this kind of sound and bass is more what' I'm searching for than for example Jason Newsted sound and playing in Metallica.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Preface: I'm not a modern sound kind of guy...
    Try a G&L bass with 2 pickups and active eq if you can. Lots of tonal possibilities, and really top notch playability.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Basstyra....I'm just down the road from you in Geneve. We have some good stores offering a wide range of basses from G&L, Lakland, Neuser, Brian Moore, etc. Hop on the train and come check them out. I can pm the store names to you. There are three stores within walking distance of the train station.

12. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Hm...

I tested G&L, but it's some times away. I remember a good bass, but nothing that impressed me much. Maybe I should test again.

BMC, I PM you...

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    International flavor today, cool;)
    I was an exchange student in Bremenhaven in 1976! Spent some time after school was over traipsing around Switzerland, Geneve is a nice spot!

14. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Eheh...

Here is my new bass :
    [​IMG]

Vigier Arpege, 1984, Maple-Walnut-Maple neckthrought, carbon fretboard, Walnut body. Great electronics, parametric egaliser, +10dB boost, passive tonality, and so on...

1100 euros, I just sold my Godin (700€), I'll have difficulties to pay the rest, but no matter... I tested it recently( this one exactly of course), it's great. Maybe not THE bass I need, but the kind of bass I want to know more at this time.

I won't have to sell my MIJ Jazzbass, this is also great...

I'm happy !! :hyper: :D

15. That's Pretty! Love the wood; I'll be it sounds great! Congrats! :D

16. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Thanks !

By the way, thanks to you who answered me ! ;)

It's not mine yet, I said the seller I take it, he's keeping it for me. But I have troubles for sending the Godin I sold to Danemark, UPS charges me more than I thought they would... I have to find another way to send it... crap...

17. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Still by the way... What would YOU do at my place, concerning my now old MIJ Jazzbass ?

You can see it there :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/jazzbass/jazzbass.html

The Vigier is quite similar, 4strings, fretted, 2 pickups. I could sell this jazzbass to buy a fretless or a 5strings, or a 4strings really different, a 1 pickup, Musicman style for example.

This is a great bass I love, it's hard to get rid of it, but I won't have the money to buy a different bass until... I don't know, a while, anyway... (I'm student, without incomes)

What would you do ?

18. That is a stunning Jazz bass. I am sure if you got rid of it, you would regret it later.

I would keep it if I were you and wait a while to see what becomes available. I am sure you could probably trade it for something you want at a later date.

19. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Yep, the Jazz stays home for now. I'll see later.

The Vigier is home tomorrow. I cannnnnnnn't wait !!!! :D

20. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    :hyper: It's home !!!!!!!!!! :hyper:

I got it last sunday.

It's GREAT !!! The best sounding bass I ever owned !

The bass is beautiful, the parametric preamp is really useful, the two pickups can really be used alone or together, it offers tons of sound possibilities. It sounds precisely, it's powerfull...

I'm happy... :D