My next bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Jul 9, 2001.

1. OK, now that I sold my Jazz bass, this is a sure thing, so I can tell y'all about my next (and last, for a longgggg time) bass.
    A few weeks ago, my Carl Thompson needed repairs, and bassmonkeee knows Greg Curbow, so I got to take the CT up to him to have it worked on (turned out real nice, too!) While I was there, I talked to him about getting a custom bass built. It would combine elements of my two favorite basses.. a Jazz-style bass with a great-feeling neck like my Reverend, but with nice woods, like the CT. And, it would be the first bass I've ever had that was custom built to my specs. We spec'd it out, and Curbow came up with a price that was more than fair. This is gonna be one killer axe. Here's the deal:
    BODY: Swamp ash Jazz body with a bird's-eye maple top. I saved a good deal of money here by going with a body from a parts supplier, but the bird's-eye is from Curbow's stash. It'll have a clear finish with a slight amber tint, and a grain enhancer that brings out the wood figure.
    NECK: Rockwood neck and fretboard, 21 frets. This is worth the whole price of the bass to me. Rockwood, for those who don't know, is as strong and stable as graphite, but doesn't have that cold, plastic feeling. It's smoother than the best satin finish you've ever felt.
    PICKUPS: Two Lindy Fralin humbucking J pickups. The bridge pickup will be wired straight to the output jack, and the neck pickup will have an on-off switch. That's it. No volume or tone controls. Both pickups, or bridge pickup only.. the volume will be maxed at all times.
    HARDWARE: Curbow brass bridge, Sperzel locking tuners. The headstock will be the shape of Curbow's 5-string headstock, with two tuners on each side.
    So, there ya go! Should be done sometime near the end of October, and I will post pics! Until then, I'll have to settle for playing the CT. :cool:
  2. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Sweet! Can't wait to see it (be cool to hear it, too).

Must be righteous to order a custom ax built to your specs.

Now, we just have to figure out what to call it.

The Siffinator
    The Siffulizer
    The Siffilicious
    The Sifferific....

Er, maybe you could just go with the Curbow Custom Dave Siff Model.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The only stipulation is that the bass has to be played on the left side of the stage. If it ends up on the right, the player will just shake and fall down.

PS Tell Dave to show you the pic!
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Sounds like a pretty sweet setup, Dave. I was just wondering why you were setting up the pickup controls the way you are planning. Sounds like a cool idea; simplicity at its finest, but I would think that having some way of turning them "off" would be handy.
  5. Well, I'll be able to turn the neck pickup off. I always play with my bass volume all the way up, and really use only one tone setting. So I figured, why have resistance where none is needed! It will be weird not to have a volume knob, I guess, because sometimes I dial the bass volume all the way down between songs, but it's really not necessary.
  6. With a Curbow made bass with Fralin pups, the noise should be minimal enough not to need a mute switch, or Dave can always turn off the amp when its not needed.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Dave-Sweet bass & sounds like a sweet setup. The only a on/off switch for the neck sounds like a good idea. If i had the money i think it'd be nice to get a bass with a 3 toggle as the only control. Thats all
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dave...I know you're a minimalist freak on the electronis...but I can't help but wonder. You'll have a two way toggle for Neck/Bridge or just Bridge...Seems to me (and this is me) that you might conisder a three way toggle. You know, n n/b b so there are three. Of course, this is your baby, so I'm not one to argue. Don't like the neck only tone? Cool. Of course, I'm a tone freak, so don't pay to much mind to me:D

My other question: are you gonna have a full sized cavity for the electronics, both to cut on weight (though it's allready be light...) and to maybe supplement more electronics if you found the need in the future. That's something I would do. You know, changing your mind in the future and such.

In any event that sound like a great bass! I hope you're happy with.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Put some fakes on know, remind you of home?...and, if any one picks up your bass it'd confuse the crap outta them.

"'re bass is busted it's loud all the time!"
    "Oh no, is all in the hands my son!"

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey Jcadmus, how about Siffilous?

"Hey guys, I got Siffilous!"

Awesome Dave, can't wait to see it! Though, I still think you should go with a woofer...:D
  11. Yeah.. I never heard THAT in high school! :D
  12. you should get a custom Ernie Ball, and call it "the siffle ball."

HAHAHAhahaheh heh heh.... ok that was lame.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very cool concept, Dave!

I like to play with knobs, but on most of my basses I know where that one great tone is and I leave the knobs there all the time. The only exception is my Zon, because it has many great tones.

So, now you will be the only guy on the board to have a Carl Thompson, and one of 2(or is it 3?:confused:?) guys to have a custom Curbow.

14. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Cool idea on the controls -- I read somewhere a couple years ago about installing a control bypass switch on a bass. They said it would really open up the sound.

You're going with the ultimate bypass -- virtually no controls at all!!
  15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think this bass is going to sound very "pure." Granted, it'll be the polar opposite of my new Curbow with 2 quadcoil pickups, but that's what is so great about bass--there is room for all kinds!

I saw the birdseye that Dave is getting. He lucked out--the body is coming from a source that Curbow uses for prefab and the guy didn't have any birdseye. Curbow sent him down some from his private stock--and, he didn't charge Dave any more for it. Pretty cool.

Plus, we both have nifty Curbow t-shirts, too! WhooHoo!
  16. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I am having a similar bass built... However, I have specified two pickups (Aero) and a three way toggle. That is all. I have not messed with the knobs on my basses in years! Seriously. Save my relatively new Modulus... But now I have found the tone on it as well. Rock on Dave!