1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My next Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drmckool, Jun 22, 2007.

1. EBMM 4-string Stringray

16 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. EBMM 5-string Stingray

31 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. Rickenbacjer 4003

32 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    hi so for my next bass i am stuck between a 4 or 5-string EBMM Stingray

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or a Fireglow Rickenbacker 4003

[​IMG]

i really cannot decide between the 2(or 3). i play hardcore slap funk, heavy fingerstyle funk, punk, lots of overdriven rock. basically everything , however i have a warwick thumb bolt-on already though

so my question is which one would be recomended by you the good forum people.

Edit: i do realise i made a typo in the pole

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Stingray 5. I love mine.

3. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    how's the B on the the 5er is it a tight or loose B. becasue i hate loose strings. also does the ray 5 stay clean with the 2 humbuckers running or does it get muddy.

4. Go with the StingRay 5. I have 5 of them. Have all the pickup configs and there's no gig i'm not prepared for.

5. get the rick
    i love those necks and fingerboards

6. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Id chose MM stingray over the ric. I just find it more comfortable and versatile and it sounds amazing. Depends wether youd rather a 5 or 4 string though. 4 string is a beauty. Never thorougly played the 5er though

7. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    the ric looks hot!!

8. Wh4len

Wh4len

Sep 12, 2006
    Linkoping, Sweden
    my personal preference... get the rick!!!

During my visit to the states i visited mannys, gc, sam ash, rudys etc

I got to play the sr5HH which I enjoyed playing and a bongo5HH. Both sounded amazing. And then i found a fireglo rick 4003 at sam ash. I was in the states for a rick primarily... overjoyed i sat down and played.

In my book the sr and bongo are less than a rick. The active sound doesn't suit me, my style or any music i play. I play punk, rock and ska. Tried to jam with my brother at GC with the EB basses, but they didn't sound right.

The rick is THE way to go.... love mine to death, all other basses i own hasn't been played for months. It sounds good everywhere, remove the palmrest and you get a lot more tonaldiversity.

Sorry for the long post, just had to get my opinion out there!

Wh4len

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    drmckool

If you already have a Thumb, I believe the RIC will bring you more of something different than any EBMM will, IMO.

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    No. You made 2. :D

11. The Ric looks sweet as f$&k, but for what you describe as your style of play, I'd go for the Singray for all round use.
    If all round use isn't a worry, I'd go for the Ric - sweets lows and nice sustain....hmmmmm, nice.

12. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    you i mean all typos but i didn't notice that untill now

13. I'd go for one of the MM's.

Personnally, I'd like the SR4HH with a D-tuner.
    Prefer the SR4 for comfort/neck,spacing/G-string
    distance form the edge of board, pickguard, weight-
    might be lighter?, alnico pups= thicker/punchier/ballsier..
    IMO!

and vsb w/maple neck is sooo classy . .

14. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Kinda strange comparing such different instrument, but I like Stringrays much more than Rickenbacjers.

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I just got an SR5 HH...I love it. I have 2 SR4's and I play the SR5 way more now. The useable tones out of it are freaking amazing!!! It's my main 5 string bass now...and that's over a Modulus Q5.

16. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    My personal opinion is the Ric without a doubt. I've always GAS'ed for a 4003 especially in fireglo, ideally I'd love to have a 4005. Of course I'm biased because I can't stand Musicmans.

17. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    i would go with the rick. i don't like the 3 band eq of the musicmans. i prefer the 2band eq.

plus, you already have a nice slap machine.

18. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    IMHO you can't beat a MM5 for slap'en.

19. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    Rickenbacker all the way.

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My choice would be a SR5. It is the classic production five string bass, IMO. To me, it is like the Precision or Jazz, "better" basses may come along, but the old classics, like the SR5, keep on resurfacing because their designers got it right.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021