Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my next bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Feb 28, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    this is my next project bass, if you look closely, it's not what you think it is....

Comments?

[​IMG]

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It's not an MTD Heir?

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I thought it was a kingston. :confused:

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    its a mutant!! kill it!! its a kingston with an extra pickup!! or an Heir in black - Heirs usually only come in three tone busrts- flame tops- Kigstons only come with one pup-

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ahh! Help me! It's scaring me!! :D
    I'm usually pretty neutral on those more affordable MTDs, but I REALLY like the looks of that one! That is, if it is indeed an MTD. :confused: :D

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Thanks I think it's a lot better looking than a normal kingston or an heir. I never liked the sunburst on the heir, and at the same time the big, blank, pointless pickguard on the kingston never looked right to me either, but I think I've found the right combo.

More tomorrow! It's late and I'm tired, and GC is having a green tag sale in the morning, so I'm going to see what I can get in trouble with.

Mark

7. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    duuude....eenteresting......but...would look sweet with a B/W/B pickguard.....and an ebony fretboard..... because all black things are cool, and the overall design would look sweet all black.....

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I can't do an ebony fret board, but do you like a Rosewood better?
    [​IMG]

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    here's a better picture of the original, and yes, these are all photoshop creations. I like the concept of the heir, but I don't like the color (!) offered, The MM pickup is too close to the bridge, and the neck single coil is a little noisy.

My plan is to buy a Kingston, drop in a neck humbucker, and leave it passive. Many people are dropping pre-amps in these things, but I think I like my fishman pro-eq so much, I'm just going to use that.
    Any more comments?

Mark
    [​IMG]

10. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks like one of those retro Cort style things..

11. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    you mean this one?

[​IMG]

I think my creation looks much better, and the two pickup corts aren't even available in the US.
    I have a cort that I converted into a fretless, and its not a bad bass at all, but these GB series probably dont hold up well compaired to the MTD. The GB's come with mighty mites pickups, and they can be very noisy.

12. That pickup is too crooked. It's a dead giveaway.

13. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Sorta kinda.. when working from memory.. ;)

14. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    do you say that when you see a warwick with a slanted pickup, or a cort action 5?

[​IMG]

15. I like the Cort GB24 better. I've playing my Kingston 5 and one of these for a year and this Cort model has some kind of paranormal thing going on in the fingerboard that makes it sound so fat.

16. I say that cause of G&L/Fender design pickups. It wouldn't make sense to me that they would all of sudden put a slant design in. Unless they were to, then I would be greatly mistaken.

Also, the magnet on the pickup between the B and E are way bigger than all the rest.

17. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    hmm.....I dunno....thats a tough one.....they both look cool....maybe our friend photoshop would magically place a B/W/B pickguard on there.....I think the rosewood would look sweet with black pg probably.

[edit] or even a black pearloid or tortoise or something dark like that would go sweeter with the rosewood.