My next bazz will be a Fiver!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyklone777, Feb 5, 2001.

1. I've been contemplating this for awhile now, and I've decided to start using 5 strings instead of 4. So now, since we use 7 string guitars, the low B will match that, and I won't have to tune down at all, and I'll have the option to go higher also. No shxt. I'm a freak :D But anyways, I was thinking of getting a Spector...I've heard they're good for metal/hardcore. Opinions?
  2. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    im moving to a 5er now and i was going to get a Warwick. i play mostly light rock/alternative (311) and jazz w/ some slap on the side and that fits me perfectly. for heavy metal you should try MIM Jazz V or i guess a spector would be a good choice. depending on your budget you could go with the Korean spector (NS-2000/5) or the Europe model or even the amreican model. i heard theyre all pretty good for rock.
  3. I haven't tried out Spectors, but the Jazz V is a good suggestion...for what you play, not knowing your budget, I would also recommend a Fender Precision V or maybe a MM Stingray 5.
  4. The Jazz V is a good choice, even better is the Delux, which has the active pickups. I hate to detune my bass, so I had to buy the five, and now I play all my deftones songs with no problem. My g****r friends can tune all they want, but all I do is pick up my five.
  5. The B string is utter ass on the Fender five-strings, except maybe the Roscoe Beck V.

I'd recommend the Spectors--they do have a good sound, and the 35" scale makes for a good, tight B string. You won't be able to pop well, evidently, but if you're playing metal that probably won't be an issue.
  6. AK makes a valid point, insofar as the Jazz V is concerned...the Precision V's B is supposed to be really pretty good by reports, but I have yet to try one. I DO love the nice tight B on my Roscoe Beck V :D
  7. I actually played my friend's Fender Jazz V prior to getting my 4 string and I didn't like it much. Weighed like 20 lbs. and the tone wasn't all that great either. I dunno, I'm not a big Fender fan, but those Roscoe Beck V's do look interesting.
  8. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Please see my review of the Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 string in a recent thread. This is a very versatile bass as it can be as aggressive as you want but will also go woody and smooth.

A note about new Fenders. IMO, the player needs to spend time setting it up. I think it's the rare case when one will really be there out of the store. Analog previously stated that he isn't very fond of the Fender B string. I agree in the sense that it sounded a bit dead at first. However, after adjustment, it's tight, punchy, and solid.

I think this bass gives good value for the money.

Happy Hunting,

9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    After a long time hanging onto my 4 string past I recently made the jump to 5 string. I wish I had done this years sooner. The 5 string brings a whole new dimension to my playing not to mention band dynamics. After a very significant search (and LOTS of A/B'ing) I settled on the Roscoe Beck and every day I pat myself on the back for making that choice.Incredible tonal spectrum especially if you,like me, are not a fan of active electronics.The RB5 passives are classic Fender tone. Of course, If Fender tone is not your thing keep'll still be happy with your switch to the 5 string regardless of what you get.
  10. Yeah but I was interested in the Roscoe Beck V' much do those things go for? As for the Spectors, I was thinking of a NS2000/5 or NS2000Q5. I know the 2000/5's are neck through (and cost more)...are the /5's and Q5's both made in Korea? And which one would be higher quality?
    By the way this has been bugging me for awhile...what the hell does IMO mean??? :)
  11. And by the way, I've had enough of seems whichever Ibanez under a grand is ALWAYS cheaply made. I used to play GUITAR and I bought a brand new RG350DX, and the thing started to literally fall apart within the next 6 months, the pickup screws came loose which made the pickups sink in, and the nut from the input jack came off which I still can't get back on. And I've had a brand new Ergodyne EDB600 for 2 months, and the input jack on that is already giving me shxt! Lol...all I can say is that I've gotten past the Ibanez hype, thank God.

By the way thanx alembicbones :)
  12. Cyke, here's a link to some good info on the RB5...

Street price is typically in the $1,100 to $1,200 range. I've heard of people scoring them for really cheap here and there (about $800). Check out ebay, too, though most people who own them don't sell them ;)
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

14. If you are looking at a Spector NS2000 bass, the best in quality would have to go to the original carved body neck thru's. The "Q" series are also made in Korea at I think, The Samick factory but they have that bolt-on neck as well as having a non-carved (contoured) body. also beware of the "quilted" look. It is just a thiiiinnn veneer glued to the flat basswood body. It's Total deceit, and it won't help you play better or make the bass sound any better.

If you do some research you might find as I did, that as far as Stuart Spectors Basses go, Try to attain the highest level that you can possibly afford. Which basically comes to trying to get one as close to either his awesome USA series or fine Czech made basses. If those two lines are just plain out of $$$ reach, then the original neck-thru NS2000 series is your best bet. Beware of quality control oversights in The NS2000 line, as with all Korean made basses the quality fluctuares from one instrument to the next.

But if you find one, as i did that is flawless, GRAB IT!!

Good luck cyklone777!!
  15. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    samick 5 string in sale section.