1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My next investment?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HollowLlama, Jul 18, 2007.

1. HollowLlama

HollowLlama

Jul 18, 2007
    Hello all,

I'm new to the talkbass community and was just looking for some advice. I have been playing Bass for around a year and a half now and love it with a passion. I have a Samick Corsair Greg Bennett signature model bass (Based on a Fender precision Bass design) and a 30 watt Mega amp. (Yes I realize I dont have the best of amplifiers.) And finally a tuner. I'm looking for a next good investment I could make for my bass. (Not specifically effects and pedals although I posted it here since I thought most people would mention it.) I have a low budget of around 120$ CAN. I'm thinking of maybe getting a pedal for my bass, something to give some pizzazz to my sound. (Since my sound just seems so empty, like there is missing something) I was aiming for maybe the BOSS GE-7 equalizer pedal. Then again Im relatively new and not familiar with whats good and whats not. I'm not going for any sound in particular just something that adds a warm bass sound or then again anything that adds some pizzazz like mentioned before.

Thanks in advance,

HollowLlama

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Honestly, what you need to do is save up for a better amp. There isn't a pedal in the world that can make up for that.

As for the GE-7... that one's the guitar model. It'll work fine on bass, but I think you'll prefer the frequency-shaping options on the GEB-7 - the bass model - since it's set up for adjusting lower frequencies that are more useful on bass.

I think you'll find that an equalizer isn't going to make up for what your amp is lacking. Sure, it'll give you some extra tone-shaping power and allow you to switch tones instantly, but with that amp at the end of your chain, it won't do you much good - especially if you're aiming for warm bass tones.

I'd love to recommend an mild overdrive pedal (as they can add warmth, too), but you really need a better amp. That's the real problem.

3. HollowLlama

HollowLlama

Jul 18, 2007
    Yeah your right. I was kinda thinking my amp was the problem but I was denying it until someone actually pointed it out hehe. Humm in terms of amplifiers do you have any suggestions? I'm not looking for anything over 30 watts since I am plenty comfortable with 30..although I am thinking eventually I will need to get a bigger amplifier because of my band and so on.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Believe it or not, simply having more power behind your notes can make the notes sound that much more gutsy and good IMO. Plus, there are almost no "quality" bass amps at that low of a wattage; that low, they are mostly kid's stuff. If you invest in a good amp, you will probably end up with something at least 100W or so. But another thing to know is that 100W is not much louder than 30. You'll want to go over to the "Amps" forum and read up on high quality small combo amps. There is a lot to read, as lots of people are in your position.

And if you couldn't tell, a +1 million to Boo that you need a better amp before you toss away any money on pedals. :)

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I also recommend saving up some more money for an amp upgrade. The guys in the TB Amp forum can give you some good suggestions on an amp that fits your needs. Be sure to include the type of music you're playing, budget, and anything else that tells them more about how you're going to use it.

Like Boo said, a simple pedal isn't going to magically give you wonderful sound from lousy equipment. An OD, distortion, or even a multi-fx pedal, can be a fun place to start if you're just looking for some new sounds.

6. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    for most bands you don't really need anything above 50, just make sure it has an awesome tone that you dig. I say this because whenever you play at venues you can mic the amp to make it louder, and 50W is more than enough to keep up with your band in a practice situation.

I have a 150W amp and the volume knob never goes above 3-4, and even when I have it up there, the rest of my band is kinda drowned out by me... it gets crazy shake my whole house loud when its on 8

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Power is often essential to good tone. You don't need a lot of it in many cases, but just having it there when you need it is a plus, and low notes, as Bongo said, need that power to sound good.

The Amps Forum is definitely the place to go for your amp quest!

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    moving to amps...

9. HollowLlama

HollowLlama

Jul 18, 2007
    Alright well I'll take everything you guys said into consideration and I think I'll start saving up. :) Again thanks for the advice.

- HollowLlama

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I agree with most...save up for bigger combo amp.

for more pizzazzz!!...
    be sure to get new strings every once in a while. I get new strings about every six months, but then again I probably play only 6-10 hours per month INCLUDING practicing which is not as often as I should!!!

some ELIXER (sp?) stings sound brighter longer, but feel funny because they have a special coating on them.

I usually use Medium GHS boomers.

11. I have been down that road, where i bought effects to fix my sound. Didn't work :meh:

Get a good sounding amp and a bass (which you like), Then begin buying some creams on the cake (pedals)

12. grab a want ad and start looking also ask around theres always some one looking to get ride of a amp or pedal