My next project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Well, I've decided to undergo the task of building a bass body.

I'm not sure what I'm going to use for the body, but I've got my eye on this for the top wood. What do ya'll think?

I've got a bid on eBay for some Brazillian Cherry, and was thinking of using that for the body. Or maybe for a different project.

Does anyone have any experience using cherry for a body wood?

I might just get some alder or ash.

If this would be better suited elsewhere, mods, please move it. Thanks
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, the older conklin sidewinders were made of cherry...they sounded great, imo. the newer ones have swamp ash bodies, if i remember correctly, but cherry has a bright sound like maple, but isn't as harsh...hmmm, let's see, it sounds a little on mahogany side, too. shoot, if you could melt wood, you could melt some maple and mahogany down, mix it up, and there ya go...instant cherry. cherry should be easy to work with, has a really tight grain. anyway, i hope that helped.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Cherry, I think is real similar to Ash in weight and tonal character... I'd personally opt for ash, but cherry would be nice to experiment with... Beautiful piece of wood you have for the top though!! :)
  4. Are you going to be building a neck as well?

The top looks nice. Cherry and ash are both good choices, they will sound similar. I agree with the others that cherry will likely sound warmer than ash. That is why I am using it on the bass I am currently building.

5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    sexy.... that would be a very nice wood for the top :D
  6. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Brazilian Cherry (aka Jatoba) is nothing like American Cherry..much heavier, different color entirely.
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'd like to build a bass body out of one of my closet core-doors. Does anyone have a core-door in their house that hasn't had someone's fist put through it at one time or another?

Good luck in your endeavor, CG!
  8. HateGear, thanks! I hope it turns out as well as It looks in my head.

gyancey, thanks for the info on the Brazilian cherry. I've got a chance to get some really cheap.

Geoff, no, I will probably end up buying a neck. I'm saving up to buy a neck trough from Stewmac, and use the Cherry for the body wings, and the spalted maple for the top wood.

Thanks everyone for your input.
  9. Hey hategear, why don't you just buy a Wishnevsky?:D