My next purchase should be.... (this is your chance to spend my money)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CrazyTwoKnobs, May 27, 2003.

1. Mic for Bass recording (Brand/model?)

1 vote(s)
  2. New Amp (if so what kind?)

1 vote(s)
  3. New cab (if so what kind?)

5 vote(s)
  4. New bass (Not really looking, but..)

1 vote(s)
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
  1. I've been looking around online and in catalouges and I have no idea what I need next. I was wondering if there is a particular microphone suited to live recording of bass, and if there is, could somebody let me know? Here is my current setup:
    450W Peavey head
    450W Ampeg svt3 (yes, I'm using both at the same time)
    Speakerhole 410
    Homemade "W" Cabinet with a Black widow
    Ibanez Eda900

What is my best bet for my next purchase?
  2. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    shure sm 58 mic for vocals and they are just good to have around(~80 bucks)

sans amp DI preamp( ~150-200 on ebay)
  3. why do you need a bass mic? Do you have your own studio or something? I'd say you could use an effects pedal if anything, or maybe a practice amp so you don't have to lug one around between practices...
  4. [voice of reason]

Do you actually need anything right now? It looks to me like you've got a fairly comprehensive set up there, maybe lacking in mics, but when do you need one?

I say save the money until you really need something.

5. I think I'd go for a new bass. IE FRETLESS JACO FENDER.. ARRRRR!!

Save it until you need or want something !
  6. Another man with an Ibanez EDA900! (I just bought an EDA905 fretless. What do you think of this bass? I love mine.) I agree with parrott, if you don't know what you want, leave the bread in the bank. If you want to spend just a little, check out a Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ. Should be around $50. If you want to hear insanely GOOD bass amp tone, check out SWR. I recently played a bunch of basses through a 750 head w/4x10 bottom, and the tone was fabulous.

7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I voted new bass. It seems like you've got the amps covered. I'd say a fretless or take the plunge into the darkest side and save a while to get a double bass-strangely addicting. Thats all :bassist:
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree. Best box I ever bought, better than a mic. Got mine for little over $90 on E-bay.