my next set of strings are most certainly going to be roundwounds. However...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Aug 7, 2001.

1. I don't know what brand to buy. Can anyone recommend some reputable brands (medium guage)?
  2. Oh, and if there's not alot of treble, thats okay. I'd love to blame my inability to slap on my strings. :D
  3. DR Nickel Lo-riders

do you really own a PRS Bass?
  4. Yes, really!

I know, I'm only 16, and its hard to believe, but I gave up a car and a driver's lisence for the bass (I've been working all summer for it and I just finished paying it off today).

And I'm the only one I know that has one! :)
  5. DR Nickel Lo-Riders, eh?

Any other brands worth checking out?
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Ernie Balls are AWESOME!! but they just dont last very long. They go dead very quickly. I would be using them right now if I had a job and could afford to buy new ones every 2 months. Right now Im using Elixir Nano Web soft/long scale 45-100. I got them at guitar center for $40 I believe. They cost more than twice as much as ernie balls (@ $16) but they are just about to pay for themselves...

my only gripe about the Elixirs is they are too slippery and dont sound as good as the Ernie Balls do. Someday when Im a pro bassist Ill buy a new set of Ernie Balls every week and put those on my bass... ohhh yeahhhh... :p
  7. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    :eek: :eek: you have a ........... PRS!! :eek: man, ive only played one and it was one of the best basses ive ever played. you got pics??? how much did you get it for??? oh yeah, i would say DR lowriders, Elixer ( spelling?? ), or Ernie Ball. i love ernie ball cuz theyre affordable and they sound good.
  8. No, I used up an entire roll of film on my bass and my dad's instruments, and none of them came out because it was an outside use only disposable camera (lesson learned). As soon as I get paid this week I'm going to buy a scanner so I can get some pictures up of it. I payed $1600 for it... it doesn't have any of the fancy options, though. But aside for the piezo pickups, all of the options for PRS basses are cosmetic.

But it looks like I'm going to dry out DR lowriders... I'll start out with the nickel ones.
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I also like the nickel DR Lowriders.
  10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    DR Lo Riders are killa
  11. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    how do you guys think lo riders compare in sound to GHS boomers? I really like the sound of the boomers but they went flat in 2 weeks.
  12. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    [Originally posted by Cat
    how do you guys think lo riders compare in sound to GHS boomers? I really like the sound of the boomers but they went flat in 2 weeks.

DR's, IMO, sound much better than Boomers. DR's sound crisp and musical. To me boomers sound like someone dropping a wrench on the floor: metallic and sterile.
  13. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    suppose I like metallic and sterile :)
  14. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I am partial to Thomastik-Infeld Electric Jazz Roundwounds. They are almost as pricey as the Elixirs, but totally worth it once you feel them under your fingers... if you keep them clean, they last quite a while (not as long as Elixirs, though).

My second choice would be the Elixirs, followed by DR Lo-Riders.
  15. I never liked GHS Boomers or the DR LO-Riders. I've always been partial to Fender Nickelwounds. If you want a nice bright, clear sound, I recommend the Ernie Ball Slinky's. They really are great strings.

Keep in mind though...I also play and prefer a Fender Precision. Basses don't get much more basic than a P.