1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Nexus& or 'What I Did During Summer Vacation'

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Old Farts of the world unite! Buy the Nexus7 and you'll be happy.

In the US, the shelves are bare and there aren't any more to ship out from the warehouses; they've gone so fast.

The 16G versions are depleted too, and that's a big surprise to Google/Asus since they thought it would be a so-so seller.

I pre-ordered from Google Play and I got mine about a week ago, and although being an old dog it took me longer to get into it with a decent amount of comfort, it is pretty nice to use. It's simple too. I'm simple. I like simple.

For some of us the learning curve can darned well be a vertical wall.

100_0753.

Since it has no 3G/4G capabilities - well, I like that too. At my age I don't want anyone finding me. It usually means work and that's my primary avoidance issue.

"You've got a pickup truck - can you help me move my collection of grand pianos?" and "Ive got some fence posts that need to be installed, can you bring over your power post hole drill and pick up a hunnert or so of them at the wood mill on the way. Oh, and I'll repay you for them." Things like that. :spit:

I'm the same guy with 12:00 blinking on my VCR and I've gone and lost every stinking MP3 - over 4k of them - multiple times to an Ubuntu installation when I tried to create a dual-boot system. Some things are best left alone ---- or for the youngsters.

Yes --- I've become an old fart <sigh> but there's some comfort in it.

I'll admit right up front here that I went out and bought a DVD player too although it doesn't have any blink-y things on it. They'd sell a lot more DVD players if they had blinking lights I think.

As it is my musical studio / TV viewing room / computer room lights up, flashes and blinks and has an LED after glow aura like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. Did I mention I like blinking things?

An interesting sidebar: since playing bass my fingers are kinda calloused and have hard spots on them from the strings. I find that I have to moisten my finger (OK - I suck on it a moment) and then dry it off (don't ask) and the touch screen works better for me. Don't even ask how I discovered that technique. (NOTE TO SELF: some words are INSIDE words.)

I think it has something to do with wayward gamma rays interfering with my personal aura and the screen has a hard time differentiating my finger from what it thinks might be a stick. In case you wanted a clinical observation: sticks don't work either so we cannot debate which wood is good for a touch screen.

I've added a few gadgets and goodies - Chess is one and the local TV station and lots of MY music and GMail/Google/Chrome can pre-loaded with my user names in it already. How'd it know? Smartass electronical things!

I do have one contentious bone to pick: I can't get WIRED magazine on it. There are a lot of Conde-Nast mags that are, but No-o-o-o-o-o! --- not WIRED! And WIRED is a Conde-Nast magazine. Gnarly bummer, dudes and dudettes!

All in all - I'd say that if you're the family techno-geek or the guy the family hides in the attic when company comes to visit - the Nexus7 is a good device. </sigh>

I'm looking for a tort cover for it.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Is this about phones? Or summer vacation? I dont even know what that is...

3. I'm retired. I'm on full-time vacation. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: Unless you're in Canada and they don't have summer vacations there. They don't have Summer.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    So it is about phones?

5. Go back.
    Read line 6.
    Report on findings.

6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I dont even know what a nexus 7 is, but I somehow find your whole post strangely reassurring and comforting. I think I'll go take a nap.

7. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    androide-blade-runner-philip-k-dick.
    Nexus ?

8. When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

9. I thought it was an angry goth version of Simple Jack:
    th?id=I4917343030674136&pid=1.