Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My nut fell out!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jan 18, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I was about the change the strings on my Fender Steve Harris signature when I bumped the nut and it slid out of place! Is there a special kind of glue that should be used to reinsert it? Should I attempt this myself in order to get the proper string alignment? I've never had this happen before! :oops:

2. Glue? :eek:

3. Nuts can fall out, especially if the glue dries out. And yes there is a recommended glue and you should only ever use a little.

Nuts should stay in place mostly by string pressure. I've used a very little dab of white glue before to set a replacement nut into a bass, but I'm not sure I did the right thing.

This post should probably be in 'set up'. A moderator will be along shortly to move you.

4. I actually LOL'd when I read the title :D

5. Jason,

You may just have to comfort yourself with the 57 reissue P-Bass thats in the brown truck on its way to you!! :hyper:

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. :D

7. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I use two dabs of superglue, one near the E string and one near the G.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Dude, I also LOL'd.

9. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan

:cool:
    They don't make them like they used to!

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great thread title!:D

Moved to Setup.

11. Dude, sorry about losing your nut!!!

If it makes you feel any better, my wife's g-string just fell off!!! I may just lose a nut myself.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You guys are nuts.

13. reminds me of the thread "Busted a Nut and Snapped a G-String"