1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My nut fell out!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jan 18, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I was about the change the strings on my Fender Steve Harris signature when I bumped the nut and it slid out of place! Is there a special kind of glue that should be used to reinsert it? Should I attempt this myself in order to get the proper string alignment? I've never had this happen before! :oops:

2. Glue? :eek:

3. Nuts can fall out, especially if the glue dries out. And yes there is a recommended glue and you should only ever use a little.

Nuts should stay in place mostly by string pressure. I've used a very little dab of white glue before to set a replacement nut into a bass, but I'm not sure I did the right thing.

This post should probably be in 'set up'. A moderator will be along shortly to move you.

4. I actually LOL'd when I read the title :D

5. Jason,

You may just have to comfort yourself with the 57 reissue P-Bass thats in the brown truck on its way to you!! :hyper:

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. :D

7. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I use two dabs of superglue, one near the E string and one near the G.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Dude, I also LOL'd.

9. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan

:cool:
    They don't make them like they used to!

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Great thread title!:D

Moved to Setup.

11. Dude, sorry about losing your nut!!!

If it makes you feel any better, my wife's g-string just fell off!!! I may just lose a nut myself.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You guys are nuts.

13. reminds me of the thread "Busted a Nut and Snapped a G-String"