Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My nut needs to be glued back in place!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Aaron, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I decided to change the strings on my new (but used) hanie, and as i was loosening the G string "pop!" the action was really low. Well, to make a long story short, should i/how can i reglue my nut back on?

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Just use a dab of Super Glue at each end of the nut. Make sure you clean the nut off, and check for any residue where you intend to set it. DO NOT use too much glue. The point is to secure it in place, not bond it forever to your neck.

3. Gary!, good to hear from you again. Where 'ya been?

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hambone! Oh, I been here and there. I'm over on "that other board" more frequently. I still stop in here, but find that my age and knowledge aren't always right for what the younger folks here want to know. I really do plan on making the annual trek to Atlanta, but each year something gets in the way.

5. My nut needs to be glued back in place!

[​IMG]

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    So should I wash off the dried glue? Is that possible without harming the finish? If this changes anything, it is a bone nut and the fingerboard is made out of wenge (or something very, very similar).

Thanks a ton, gweimer.

7. That'd be right Donne! corrupting the innocence of this Forum! :p

:D:D

Merls

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    While this will certainly hold the nut in place it could create a problem for a luthier replacing the nut down the road. I've chiseled many a nut off of a guitar and bass (piece by piece) because someone used epoxy or super glue to re-attach a nut. The best glue to use is simple white elmers glue. As long as the nut is cut properly (fits against the end of the fingerboard and is flush at bottom) this will hold the nut securely and enable a repairman to easily remove it down the road.
    jg

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Pot,
    I usually use liquid hide glue. It is made for this kind of application. And just a drop or two. To clean up a bone nut you can simply use a mill bastard file. Though it probably isn't necessary, as the nut should go back precisly where it came from and all the little irregularities should just fit together again. You should be able to reglue it without any clean up as long as it hasn't been done to may times before and the glue hasn't really built up much. But once you change either surface, They probably will not fit back togethr like they did and will have to be cleaned up. If you feel the need to clean up the nut, this is how I do it. I am not a luthier but I have carved up some nuts in my time!! Any large chuncks of glue can be "chipped off" carefully. Do not put any pressure on the bone without backing or supporting it. Bone is brittle and can snap! Hold the nut and have the file stationary. Carefully slide the surface you want to clean up against the file keeping the surface flat. Controll is of the upmost importance here. You don't want to " rock " the nut and thus round the surface slightly. Especially since the glue is usually harder than bone you have to be carefull to shave it down. This isn't as difficult as it sounds and it takes several passes and a little patience. It is not like you blow it if you make one bad pass. Repeatedly check the surface you are cleaning up for even cleaning/shaving. Sand paper on a table works also, but tends to, for me, round the edges and the surface slightly.

Enough already!!

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I probably should have responded a bit earlier (3-4 days ago), but the super glue did work (even though the tube broke open all over hands :mad: ) No mess, and the nut is fastened securely.