Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Nut Popped Off!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by floydbass, Feb 29, 2004.

1. (sorry if this is in the wrong forum, move if needed)

Ok, heres the deal, I was restringing my bass and when I was winding up the E string I heard a *CRACK* and I looked and the nut had popped off. When I say off I mean completley off! I could take it off the neck. So, I brought it into the shop and they still have it and they are gonna fix it and do a setup. Can anyone explain if they are going to simply glue it back on, or replace it, or what?

Thanks in advance! :bassist:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If it is not broken, they'll just glue it back on. That's what I do, anyways. I thought you had a medical problem ;) :D

3. ;)

No it came off in one piece, if this happens again what glue should I use to glue it back on?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hide glue works well. Regular style wood glue works well, but only use a small dab, so it is easily removable later if it indeed does break. I sliced my thumb VERY badly once trying to fight the glue undeneath a nut on a guitar.

5. Ok, thanks for the info. And what is "Hide Glue" and could I find it, at my local department store or will I have to search?

6. You'll have to search really really hard, it doesn't want to be found, that's why they call it "hide glue" ha ha ha....

I've seen it in some woodworking catalogs, Stew-Mac sells it, but I haven't seen any in Home Depot or Lowes. In older times it was made by boiling animal hides, don't know if it's still made that way now.

I use wood glue myself.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You can find it at a Tru-Value store. AKA Ace Hardware. Some home improvement stores will have it. Lumber yard stores are more likely to have it as hide glue is good for furniture building.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    IMHO Hide glue is way too strong to use in this particular application. Hide glue develops a very strong bond even if applied in a thin film.

The idea is just to keep the nut from slipping until string pressure is applied which will then hold the nut in place even without glue.

I put one small dab of Tite-Bond wood glue right in the center
    of the nut. If any glue squishes out, you've used too much.

Plastic and graphite nuts don't hold glue that well but a bone nut put in with hide glue could be a bear to remove later.

Harrell S.

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "A shame you'll waste shop fees on that fix." [Smash]

My thoughts exactly, Smash.

Harrell S.

10. Actually its free, i got a warrantee!!!! :D

11. If the bass is new then contact the retailer/manufacturer and they should replace it for you. if not,and the nut is still in one piece glue it back on with some heavy duty glue. If it's cracked and you had the bass for quite a long time then I suggest buying a "brass-nut" they're on some warwicks are prove to be the most durable out there.

12. I tend to agree with this idea. I was doing some work on my friend's bass, and the nut fell completely off after I began removing the strings. I reglued the plastic nut with woodglue, but when I removed the strings again, same thing happened. One of the strings was binding a bit in its nut saddle, and this was pulling the nut when tightening or loosening the string.

A couple of small dabs of super glue worked well for me, and when I needed to remove this nut for replacement, it removed easily enough with no damage to the neck area at all.

Mag...

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've done this, I like superglue for most of my glueing needs actually.

14. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I always take a number 2 pencil and lubricate the nut slots before installing a new string. Sure can't hurt anything by doing so.

tk

15. :cool: The big stuff my Luthier gets the business, the little stuff , well where friends so he is willing to teach as far as I am willing to go. However the subject line pertaining to "Lubing the nut" and in my case the bridge too.

Sure the number 2 pencil works great , however in a last minute drive off and set up quick gig , OOOOOOPS I de- tension the gut strings all the time , and OOOOPS I have no number 2 pencil around and try and find a someone that has one at a "Party/" LOL!! Ya right.

My Luthier friend rebiulds antique Orchestrians, player pianos, violins and does alot of the Dollywood antique instruments too, He showed me a trick on making any peace of wood "self lubricating" without the mess of graphite dust flying around, not that we deal with that here, we are only using a tidbit of the stuff. But Thats the problem, it's a tidbit. So I am taking the abnoctious chance on the intergrity of my gut strings here and makeing my bridge and nut "Self Lubricating" stay posted for the Tears or CHEERS in a few weeks.

Well the process is quite simple and for steel strings there is no risk, but gut string holders HOLD ON wait for my demise before you get yours.

He simpley mixes amonia and graphite together making it a thick pasty slurrie, then applies it to the wood that he wants to be perminantly self lubricating, The amonia draws the graphite deep into the wood over an eighth of an inch in some cases, now as the wood gets worn off a tidbit from tuneing and detuning the wood of the bridge and nut has plenty of reseviore of graphite to stay slick, now I will take my mind off it till the bridge and nut get worn out. 2 Questions we will all ask here. Does the amonia soften the wood of the bridge? Does the amonia vapores get into the gut strings rendering them "Sheep Jerky" for my pet Rover? WE SHALL SEE.

I like Pilgrimage and this will be a first for any Bassist I know.

Warning if your nuts about appearance you may not like the color change of the parts you lube, it's sort of like working with INK!! :-( But I take performance and longevity of strings
    and body parts over appearance anyday, Last but not least TONE is number one.
    Later Guys stay tuned, we shall see what happens. If this guy trusts 500 grand worth of Orchestrian to this methoud I should not sweat my 1 grand used all wood bass. :)
    Scott

16. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Welcome to TB, Scott.

I do believe that you have posted in the guitar forum and should have posted in the DB forum. Gut strings are, for all practical purposes, never used on EBG. The bridge and nut on a EBG aren't made of wood, so the ammonia trick can't apply.

I'm curious to see what the luthiers on DB forum might think of
    this method.

Harrell S.

17. In refrence to the "Self Lubricating Bridge post"....

Appoligies for the wrong topic and Forum subject content, I need to move this to DB, darn newbies aren't we a pain sometimes. The experiment is working well so far, 400 dollar set of gut strings and no fualter yet. Moveing this to an apropreate DB thread.