1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My nut's too small for my strings!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jacoby75, Jul 31, 2020 at 8:12 PM.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Insert joke here _______________. But seriously . . .

I have been wanting to try flatwound strings (again) for a while. I put a set on my Yamaha BB1025x, and then I couldn't figure out why I couldn't set the action low enough on the A string. I had the saddle cranked all of the way down, and the string was still way too high. Then I realized that it was because the string was sitting on top of the nut because it was too wide to fit in the slot. (Insert other joke here _________ ). I tried it on my HB Jazz, just for kicks. Same problem. I held it up to the nuts of a couple of other basses, and it's too wide for those as well. I regularly play 35" scale basses, if that has anything at all to do with it. The BB is 34", but it does have string-through body as well.

I believe the two types of flatwounds I tried that I just happened to have on hand were Labella DTF's and the James Jamerson set. (I forget the proper technical name for those. Though they're about as thick as a telephone pole, and feel about as comfortable to play).

I'd like to try some thumpy, growly flats again, but I was wondering if you had any recommendations on something that might be a bit thinner so as to actually fit in my nuts. (Insert other joke here ______________. )

Thanks

JRA likes this.
  2. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    Sounds like you've spent a lot of time lately comparing nut sizes?

If you want growly flats I'd say the Fender 9050Ls would be a great choice as would the Ernie Ball Cobalts. Both have a lot of midrange growl but still retain a decent amount of thump. Dunlops are great as well. @e-flat coined a great term for the Dunlop mids when he called them "chewy".

I would think as long as you stick to the light to medium light sets the problem with your nuts will disappear.

JRA, jdh3000, ThePez and 1 other person like this.
  3. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Sometimes the jokes practically write themselves.

4. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Couldn't help it... devil made me do it. Solution bigger string... LOL

2020-Hot-T-back-Bikini-Bottom-Girl-Sexy-G-string-Swim-Briefs-Women-Trunks-Beachwear-Brazilian.jpg

5. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I tried a g-string on about 5 months ago. Still can't find the darn thing.

6. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach

Ha Ha. Right. When I see just the quote you pulled out it sounds like a doctor wrote it. :roflmao: Wanted to make sure I actually inserted some jokes per your request.

I am an avid golfer and crack up at equipment videos on YouTube where all the talk is about torque on the shaft and whether or not it's better to have a stiffer butt section or a stiffer tip section for certain swing speeds. LOL

7. I’m not sure why you wanna wrap strings around your nuts but...ok.

8. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Some things you just can't un-see..... LOL

9. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Technically through my nuts. But let’s not split hairs.

Poke, MYLOWFREQ and TreySonagras like this.
  10. ROFLMAO!!! :)

11. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I dig what I'm hearing from the Cobalt flats online so far. Thumpy, but still have some punch.

RoketRdr and uwrossl like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Have you tried stretching the slot? Not too much, don't want to bust a nut.

Mostyn, HeavyJazz, raphaeld and 6 others like this.
  13. Nohrellas

Nohrellas

May 11, 2016
    Vienna
    I just looked up the James Jameson set and those are massive strings, if you wanted to use those you'd have to widen the nut slots considerably or have it done by a tech. Any set of flatwound strings in "normal" gauges will probably fit without any issues, 45-105 sets or maybe 40-100 sets if you want to make sure since those will definitely work on any standard bass.
    If you want the polar opposite to the James Jamerson set you could try TI flats, they are low tension and very supple, but as long as you stick to 45-105 gauge max you can try out any brand as long as your wallet can take the experimentation with different flatwound strings.
    There are also some good youtube comparisons of different flatwound strings on the same bass so you can listen to the differences yourself.

14. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    Those and the Fenders have the most growl in the mids IMO. Fenders get a little thumper than the Cobalts as the break in. I would also throw out the La Bella LTFs. Great set of strings. Somewhat akin tonally to the DTF's with far less tension and a little more going on in mids/high mids. Still have a good amount of the classic La Bella thump.

Ggaa likes this.
  15. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    You win!

16. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

How small are these nuts to not fit the strings you want?

17. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Good song title.

18. I put my g-string on backwards and it separated my nuts...

Eddie LeBlanc likes this.
  19. I love nut jokes! More. More!

20. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Not sure if there is actual advice being sought here or just a desire to dance around double entendre...but yeah, it should be no surprise that strings dont just hot swap in/out without the need for adjustments. If you are going to use a thicker or thinner string you are going to need to make changes to accommodate the different string width if you want to preserve the way your instrument feels. I fall in the camp of not changing strings really ever...if it feels and plays great, leave it alone...