My obligatory "what bass should I get?" thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canopener, Oct 8, 2003.

1. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm currently playing an Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX, but I've been looking around...
    ...I've seen a MIM Fender Jazz bass online for a decent price at a few sites, and I think I may be able to get $200 for my bass on a trade-in at a local shop...
    What would you do?
    I've been playing for around a year now, my budget is tight, and I'm lefty. I don't like the springy sound of the mid's and treble on my bass, I like the sound of someone like, John Paul Jones. Sooo, if I get around to trying one out, should I make the switch?
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I would trade for a Fender. I played an Ibanez SDGR 5 tring for years until I tried a nice Fender and there was no turning back. The Fender was hands down better sounding than my active Ibanez. Carefully inspect the construction on a Fender MIM though. Check the neck pocket for gaps, check that the nut has been filed properly (proper spacing and height) and make sure the bridge has been installed correctly (check this by seeing if the dots on the neck are in the middle of the strings) These factors are IMO important on any bass especially cheaper ones. There are some nicely constructed MIM Fenders out there just look at them closely because they are not all the same. Good luck! :bassist:

I would like to add go to a guitar center if at all possible instead of buying online so you can check the parameters I suggested. They usually have a boatload of MIM fenders in stock.