Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My OBP-3 is picking up a radio station

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassTerd, Oct 28, 2003.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I recently installed an aguilar OBP-3 into my warwick corvette. Know when the pickups are active i get the AM station down the street into my speakers. I never picked up the station with the stock pre-amp it came with. When I switch into passive mode the radio station goes away. Everything is wired correctly because I ordered it that pre-wired. Anybody have any idea what could couse this? Is the OBP more sensitive to the radio station?
    Also the control cavity has paint that shields everything. Is this better/worse than the copper shielding?

thanks

2. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    how would i know if i have a cold solder joint?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The paint often is not grounded or conducting properly. Copper shielding usually works fine. Check with a multimeter.

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    When the cable is loose and moving inside the solder "blob".

5. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    How would I get the paint to conduct? There is a small screw in the cavity that doesnt seem to do anything, should that be connected to something.

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The paint itself is conductive, often it's not grounded or painted properly.

Not sure about the screw, is there a loose wire?