Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My old Aria Pro II sounds better than my Music Man!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew West, Mar 5, 2002.

1. I got an Aria Pro II ten years ago when I turned 16. It was my first bass. Made in Korea, P+J configuration, cost around $500. About two years ago, I ripped out the stock pickups and put in a set of Bartolini's. Sounds great, plays great.

About three years ago, I bought a MIA Jazz Bass. It didn't want to play along with me. Stayed in it's case for the most part.

Last September, I sold the Jazz and bought a brand new Music Man Sterling. Plays well and sounds good, but I just can't get the right sound live.

Tonight, I got the Sterling and Pro II out and did a side-by-side comparison. No contest. The Aria sounds incredible. The Sterling sounds weak in comparison.

As far as I am concerned, the Aria sounds better than every other bass I have played in the past 10 years, including some costing $2000 and more. Anyone else ever have this happen? A supposedly 'inferior' instrument sonically outperforms a supposedly 'superior' one?

So I've decided to sell the Sterling. Maybe I should look for another Aria. I saw one go on ebay for $155 the other day...

2. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Why don't you just GIVE me the Sterling? :D :p

Seriously. You think I'm kidding?

3. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    I love aria 2 basses.. i plan to buy one this summer.. what was it like with the stock pickups??

I officially got a wish list
    -------------------
    Aria Pro 2 bass
    BC Rich Warlock in gunmetal blue
    Steve Harris P bass
    Epiphone Flying V bass
    Rickenbacker 4003 bass
    Maybe an Alembic if I get rich or a sadowski..
    Gibson Firebird bass
    Steinberger Spirit fretless..

I love steinberger and have personally played all those basses.. (the aria had emgs in it) and ive fallen in love with them.. my g/fs buying me the steinberger for xmas cause well shes rich lol.. and im gonna get her another floor tom.*grins*

4. OK. I would recommend a pickup upgrade though. But remember, mine is ten years old. They may be using better pickups now.

5. In my experience, the old Arias were far better than the new ones. Same goes for Washburn and Ibanez.

6. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I agree, Marty.

The older Pro II's, particularly pre-85 or so, are superb. Period. These were by no means "inferior" instruments.

But, Mr. West, if you have happened to stumble on a gem from their somewhat more recent Korean phase, more power to you! Maybe Aria Pro II didn't completely lose its touch after all.

7. If got a 'new' Aria bass (IGB 68), I've put a new pick up in it, and now I've got a great sounding nice looking and very fast playing bass (my main slap bass)!

btw. The original pick up didn't sound bad either...

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, I really don't think there is anything like "better" and "worse", when it comes to things like this. It's all a matter of opinion, and it's all subjective, like stated before many times on these boards.

Another reason your Aria sounded good (other than it being a good instrument ofcourse ;)) might be that you've had it for so long, and just gotten used to the sound.

That said, I love old aria pro II stuff, my brother has an old guitar that i really dig.

9. My L2000 sounds better than my Alembic in my own personal taste. At least I end up using the L2000 way more.

I used to play a cort artisan 5 string neck through with 2 Bart soapbar.....that bass has some serious LOWS! The tone's really warm, and mellow. It cost my church about Cad $900.

10. Imho everything sounds better than a musicman stingray... :)