1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my old Carvin RL410T vs a new Avatar Neo410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Black Sheep, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    I know there are some good threads on Avatar cabs and such, but I am looking for opinions on this direct comparison. I have a Carvin RL410T (with an R1000 amp and RL118 cab, too). I usually use just the 410, and really don't need the 18. Thinking about trading/selling both cabs for an improvement in sound/tone, and going with something no more than about $500. Avatar looks like a great option. From anyone's experience here, can I expect a night and day difference, or only a little difference. I feel I'm fighting the cab to find the tone I like, but don't want to change unless I have some sense it will be worth it. Also would like a lighter cab, and have considered putting Carvin neo drivers in my cab, as the BR410 cabs seem pretty similar to mine...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i would suggest stepping up to a couple grades above avatar if the carvin isn't cutting it for you. avatar's a good cab for the money but so is carvin. some will argue with me, but with cabs, you get what you pay for more than any other component in your rig.

3. litlock123

litlock123

Jul 10, 2009
    Deffinattly get a used aguilar cab. They are greaaattttt. And i used to have th r1000 head to.

4. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    Sounds like improvement would be only marginal. (depending on your taste) Not a lot to try locally. I'll keep my eye out. Maybe I'll just upgrade, and maybe start a project (BFM, etc...)

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I've had both though it's been a few years . The Avatar has better low end and gets louder with enough power . It is very articulate but a bit scooped in the mids to me . Avatar uses Deltalite 2510 speakers with a longer travel than the standard 2510s .

The Carvin RL410T uses a speaker that is a lot like Eminence Betas . I liked the Carvins mids much better than the Avatar , I could hear it on stage much better . The bottom end gets a bit loose when pushed hard as you probably know . I switched to Eden XLT cabs after I had the Carvin and they had both the good mids and the low end extension that I got with the Avatar but were heavy . The Avatars work for most people though .

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I used to own the RL410T and IMO anything that can get louder while retaining its bottom end and overall clarity without barking, farting, and distorting the way the Carvin does is a huge improvement.

I went with a 2x10 Eden XLT after I ditched my Carvin, it was like comparing night and day.

I did a post on the Carvin BRX10.4 Neo and Avatar was mentioned in the thread as well as a comparison so maybe you'll find some of the information useful.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647405&highlight=