Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Old P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by okieblues, Mar 30, 2003.

1. okieblues

okieblues

Mar 29, 2003
    ada, oklahoma
    I currently play a 75 P-Bass with a sunburst finish and a maple neck/ fingerboard which is in desperate need of refretting. Its taken me 27 years to get the proper funky mojo "vintage" looking finish on my little pet and i was wondering what would happen to the neck/fingerboard during refretting. will the tech need to strip and refinish the neck during the process?

2. Hmm, I doubt that, are the frets part of the wood yet?

You could just play a 'half' fretless like me :)

3. okieblues

okieblues

Mar 29, 2003
    ada, oklahoma
    Well I really dont want to mess with a good thing but these are the original frets on this bass and intonation is getting a bit dicey as well as various buzzes that are getting next to impossible to eliminate with set up variances

4. okieblues

okieblues

Mar 29, 2003
    ada, oklahoma
    anybody?.....surely somebody out there in TalkBass land has had a vintage bass refretted...help me out people

5. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    i brought an old vantage bass i had to get refretted, and when i got there the luthier told me. "we dont actually refret, once you pull em out its hard to get new ones in again, we just put new metal on top of the old" or something like that. It turned out pretty nicely, looked and played like all new frets.

6. Boomerang, if he told you that, he was full of it, it's fairly easy, with the right amout of experiance, the refret a fretted instrument

7. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i hang out at a guitar repair shop and see newer basses,old basses, P.O.S basses and vintage basses
    being re-fretted and made into frett-less on a weekly basses,i've seen it done at least 100 xs.
    usually on an older bass they heat up the fretts with a soldering iron and work the fretts out carefully etc,etc,
    now on the other hand i've also seen basses "re-crowned,if the fretts have enuff "meat" on them they file them down to make a new and more precise "contact area".
    as far as putting or adding new "meat" to the existing fretts i cannot see how this can be done.
    it would be like adding more nikel to a string to make it re-usable IMO.
    i'm not aying you got "taken",but take the feedback that you have recieved and do the math for yourself
    and also take this guys reputation into account(is he reputable?well known and recommended)and form your own interpertation.
    good luck:confused: