My OLD peavey 1x15 is POOTY! Old 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 23, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alright, i got a OLD 1x15 peavey cab, no numbers that i can find, and it's got a weird 15' in it, like, it's got a somethin in the speaker where the,, what is it,, dust thingy? the thing the cone is wraped around (Sorry, brain not working tonight.) Is like, a thing of metal, i havent taken the screen off yet, so i'm not sure. i asked the guy what it would tak as far as power. he said "150 rms"... ok, thats what i would be feeding it, and i have nothing else to go on but his word, because i have no info on the cab. but ok. I play thry it,, sounds alright. I get it home, plug it up, and it's FARTY! not, HONK, just purttttt.. I mean, it's not growling, it's doing something else. but it doesnt sound like I'm overpowering it. It's tall, has a front port, and just a hole in the back , a 1/4 speaker output. and nothing else. oh, it has a handle on top, if thats worth anything. but could it be the 15' itself? could i replace it? It is NOT a "tight" 15. AT ALL, so, what can i do to make it tighter?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ummm its,,, REALLY pooty?

3. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    if its a blackwidow it can be reconed and work like new,you will need to take speaker out and see wazzz up... if its a blackwidow loaded cabinet its worth keeping,IMO, good-luck...

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh no man, this is NO black widow. this thing is OLD. VEEEERRRRYYYY OLD. Gray mesh screen and all that garbage.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    They used to use some pretty low-end Eminence drivers with 1.5" voice coils and shiny voicecoil covers like that.

Sounds like a blown speaker.

You could drop in a mid-range Eminence 15 from Parts Express (don't spend much over $100) and have a sturdy rig. Those boxes are built like tanks.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    THATS what i shall do! i'll pop in a new 15... now,, just gotta learn how to do it...

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I've had a few Peavey cabs, and the front grill is usually held on with velcro; it's on pretty tight usually (meaning if you wreck your box don't blame me; maybe they did something different on yours).

Once you pull the grill, there are about 8 phillips head machine screws holding the driver in place (and maybe a little caulking). The wires on the back are usually held on with slide-off spade terminals. You might note which color wire goes to +/- as it might be handy to know with the new speaker.

If you research it, you will discover that the box is way too small for a 15" speaker acoustically, and possibly tuned too high for best performance. That being said, putting in a new speaker will probably make you pretty happy.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, the box is pretty small,,, but getting a new speaker will help it, if anything right? is that what your saying?

9. If it sounds pootie, drink Tang while you play through it.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

Right , right...