Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My OLD peavey 1x15 is POOTY! Old 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 23, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alright, i got a OLD 1x15 peavey cab, no numbers that i can find, and it's got a weird 15' in it, like, it's got a somethin in the speaker where the,, what is it,, dust thingy? the thing the cone is wraped around (Sorry, brain not working tonight.) Is like, a thing of metal, i havent taken the screen off yet, so i'm not sure. i asked the guy what it would tak as far as power. he said "150 rms"... ok, thats what i would be feeding it, and i have nothing else to go on but his word, because i have no info on the cab. but ok. I play thry it,, sounds alright. I get it home, plug it up, and it's FARTY! not, HONK, just purttttt.. I mean, it's not growling, it's doing something else. but it doesnt sound like I'm overpowering it. It's tall, has a front port, and just a hole in the back , a 1/4 speaker output. and nothing else. oh, it has a handle on top, if thats worth anything. but could it be the 15' itself? could i replace it? It is NOT a "tight" 15. AT ALL, so, what can i do to make it tighter?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ummm its,,, REALLY pooty?

3. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    if its a blackwidow it can be reconed and work like new,you will need to take speaker out and see wazzz up... if its a blackwidow loaded cabinet its worth keeping,IMO, good-luck...

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh no man, this is NO black widow. this thing is OLD. VEEEERRRRYYYY OLD. Gray mesh screen and all that garbage.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    They used to use some pretty low-end Eminence drivers with 1.5" voice coils and shiny voicecoil covers like that.

Sounds like a blown speaker.

You could drop in a mid-range Eminence 15 from Parts Express (don't spend much over $100) and have a sturdy rig. Those boxes are built like tanks.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    THATS what i shall do! i'll pop in a new 15... now,, just gotta learn how to do it...

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I've had a few Peavey cabs, and the front grill is usually held on with velcro; it's on pretty tight usually (meaning if you wreck your box don't blame me; maybe they did something different on yours).

Once you pull the grill, there are about 8 phillips head machine screws holding the driver in place (and maybe a little caulking). The wires on the back are usually held on with slide-off spade terminals. You might note which color wire goes to +/- as it might be handy to know with the new speaker.

If you research it, you will discover that the box is way too small for a 15" speaker acoustically, and possibly tuned too high for best performance. That being said, putting in a new speaker will probably make you pretty happy.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, the box is pretty small,,, but getting a new speaker will help it, if anything right? is that what your saying?

9. If it sounds pootie, drink Tang while you play through it.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

Right , right...