Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My old school called the COPS ON ME! concerning an email!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mans0n, Oct 24, 2002.

1. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    Well! your friend! and compadre :D MaNs0n had the POLICE called on him for the first time in his life yesterday!.

They called reguarding an admitidly somewhat immature email, yet in no way (to the police who responded, my mother, friends and family and me) deemed calling police.

So I had to deal with police officers comming to my home, going to my mothers place of work (i am 19 yrs old, hadnt been to the school in 5 yrs) and generally had an exciting day.

The email can be found here http://www.depressing.org/email.html

among other things, there was no mention made of my sarcastic remark "how can i live on", the police said [the school] were "especcially concerned" about the signature i use (it can be seen under every single one of my posts, and emails). Its a quote from the great modern philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, from the book Twilight of the Idols. They saw this quote as a direct threat.

[The School] were also "VERY concerned" about the contents of my website, the imagry and the poetry they found ''especially disturbing" my website can be reached at http://www.depressing.org it has some more info about this story on the main page

Apparently these people with Doctorates, and gleaming college educations cant read the first line of the email which said "this is sent in a joking tone, dont take this to seriously" well they did, and they freaked out!

But! its not all bad, not all of them are fools.. i got 2 replies from staff (before the cops called) saying they liked my email, and even used the 2 attached websites in their class teaching after they printed them out.

So what do you think? do you think this school overreacted to an obvious comicly toned email? Would you call the police? do you feel it threatens the health and well being of anyone at the school?

You can send your emails to me if you wish manson@depressing.org

And if you would like this school to hear your opinion you can email the "principal" of this school at: ssievers@rhodes.k12.il.us

(i was told not to send them any more emails or i might be taken to court with restraining orders being filed against me! so i cannot send them any email)

the schools website is http://rhodes.k12.il.us

im looking forward to seeing some responses and emails reguarding this subject!

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't know. I didn't completely understand everything in the email. I did see some part about not letting boys paint their fingernails.

Now, why I agree that school authorities are often extremely naive, puritanical and conservative in most everything they do. And, while I agree that teenage angst and rebellion are normal, and not necessarily, bad things, I just think, oh I don't know, that there are more important things to get riled up about. Censorship, while always a good subject, is one of so few important topics in this world right now. I remember when I was in high school, (scary sentence right there), the fervor in which I became involved in certain issues. My issues of interest were different though, race relations, politics, sex and gender, homophobia. Things that helped shaped me and made me into the person I am now.

So, your passion is admirable. Bravo. The only thing I say, is to really look at what you're trying to accomplish. Sit down and think, "are these issues that affect a large number of people?" "What are the real issues here?" Sometimes we channel our energy into things which might not be in the best general interest.

Also, I know that a popular music artist uses the "Manson" name, but I have to ask you, do you realize that it's a psychotic killer's name that you've adopted as your handle? Yes, you might think it's cool and rebellious, and the whole Helter Skelter thing was before your time, so it's probably more abstract to you, but, you're using the name of a racist, psychotic, murderer!!! I don't care if a pop music artist uses it too. I just think it's in bad taste.

My $0.01.

3. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i dont think thats an issue here, my handle has been used for 7 years, no reasons for using it were attributed to the musical artist or the convicted killer (who did not actually kill anyone)

no i dont think charles manson is "cool"
    no i dont think marilyn manson is "cool"

and i think its quite presumptuous to assume those things based upon a handle that could have many possible origins and meanings. but thanks for giving your opinions :)

4. yer letter seems innocuous enough - certainly not warranting a visit from police.

but really, don't you have anything better to invest yer time and energy in?

just seems like you are 'wasting' your own personal (and incidentaly, irreplaceable) vital life force energy on this extremely petty matter, when it could be much more productively used elsewhere

"2 cents, take it or leave it" :)

5. good to see people that know the blue ribbon !

Freedom of speech is one of the things i fight for.
    the other thing i fight for is the " war against spam " project.

keep up the good work ! :)

- Tim -

6. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002

good to see im not a lone in the fight!

"im not a terrorist! i just want to talk!"

said a friend of mine a few years ago..... seems to fit this situation very well

7. what... on..... earth.. are you on about? :p

:D:D

Merls

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is no such thing as "Freedom of Speech" it is a myth and a waste of time bothering about.

You are always responsible for what you say and have to accept that any freedom comes with responsibility.

So - walk into an airport and say "I have a bomb and I'm going to use it" and you will quickly discover the limits of your "freedom of speech" and you will thorougly deserve to get thrown in Jail before your feet touch the ground!! ;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

On the original subject - people get blown up, kids get shot, abused by paedophiles, bulied or commit suicide.

Every time - people say : this could have been prevented and go into long lectures about what should have been done !! :rolleyes:

So - when people do try to do something before the fact - you get a load of whining about it - typical!

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Oh my god, I agree with Bruce! :)

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I thought the same thing.

12. Yes, of course, but that is not "freedom of speech". That is, other than "extremely stupid", threatening national security.

Freedom of speech is being able to vent your opinion publicly without getting arrested. If you have an opinion that infringes the rights of others, so be it, although generalizations are always dangerous, as they can insult people.

Having an opinion and acting like it are two different things. You have to respect the rules/law.

I, for one, think that censorship on "certain" words (like it is applied in the US) is bull manure. But I respect the rules, and refrain from using those words, like everyone else.

All in my humble opinion. Can't stress that fact enough.

13. Bruce Lindfield

So the Ku Klux Klan should be able to get up and vent their opinions publicly, Bin Laden should be able to congratulate his followers on national TV and avoid prosecution, Paedophiles should be able to circulate freely on chat rooms for kids etc etc..

14. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I agree w/Joris

15. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i dont agree with their ideas but yes i feel they should be able to

i dont feel this compared to the previous comment, but i dont feel he should be stopped from talking.... but i would also like to see them in jail

thats insane to say! its not freedom of anything to actively stalk young children to get your sick twisted satisfaction! i dont see how this related to freedom of speach in any way

To me freedom of speach has its maximum flexibility point. it doesnt mean you can go willy nilly threatening about doing things. its so you can express your ideas and beliefs, even though some may see them as hateful and 'wrong' as long as your not directly physically hurting someone, or causing undue mental diress i feel you should be able to 'say it'

16. Bruce Lindfield

Who cares - I got Jazzbo and Pacman on my side!! ;)

17. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    whoopie for you:)

18. Bruce Lindfield

I'm pretty sure that paedohiles would want to say that "freedom of speech" should mean that they are allowed to talk to all the young children they wanted! :rolleyes:

This is the sort of dangerous area you get into if you say that everybody should have "freedom of speech" - who defines what that means?

Each person has their own idea of what it means and if you are just going to campaign for "freedom of speech" for everyone, then you are going to be assisting paedophiles, terrorists etc etc.

If "Freedom of Speech" only means what you want it to mean, then that's hardly "Freedom" is it? That's "Dictatorship"!! :mad:

19. Western civilisation believes in equal rights for everybody..

So..on the subject on the Klu-Klux....if black people are alowed to have an anti-racism protest, then the klu-klux should be allowed to have a pro-racism protest as well.. even if the majority (sp?) of the public dissagrees with it. if you allow one side to protest, and disallow the other side.. then you're discriminating them yourself ! think about it..

on the subject of the Paedophiles.. even tho i totally dissagree with them, don't get me wrong here.. but why shouldn't they be allowed on chatboxes ? what's the next step.. gay people should be banned from strait chatboxes too, because they have a different sexual preference ? and what comes after that.. men should be banned from female chatboxes, because they have a weener instead of a beaver ? then you're discriminating too..

and on the subject of Mr. Osama Bin-Laden.. ok he is suspected ( but not yet proven ) to be the leader of a terrorist organisation ( again.. not proven ). but he is also human.. therefore he deserves equal rights as all other humans. so if he wants to talk to other people about pro-terrorism.. that's his right.. if you deny him the right to talk pro-terroris, then you should also deny mr. Bush his anti-terrorism ( propaganda ).. because if you don't you would also be discriminating..

freedom of expression and freedom of speech are vital if you want to give everybody equal rights..

20. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Nicely put, on the Paedophiles subject, that is a perfect way for them to get caught, meaning in chat rooms, undercover cops go in there everyday to catch these people. Also, children should not be on the internet w/out adult supervision in the first place. No I don't agree with the KKK, Bin Lauden, and especially Paedophiles, however, I refuse to compromise my right to speak my opinion just so we can quite the radicals. JMO