1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My old vs. new: curious ~2006 Mexico p bass body weight?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coldaccord, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Coldaccord

Coldaccord

May 11, 2008
    Buffalo, NY
    About ten years ago I set up a a little 62 ri p bass. It played well but the silver color of the body never did it for me. For some reason I recently tried a no-name body (I think it was from guitarfetish.com) with a great color (sea foam green). It needed the neck pocket re-routed, eventually was set up well but still isn't playable for me- the body is too light, I have to hold the thing up to play it, too neck heavy, it's not feasible.

Current bad body is I believe 3.5 lbs according to the website.

I love my straight 15-20 year old Fender precision neck and don't want to abandon or alter it.

My played-great-should've-left-alone body was a Fender made in Mexico a year or so old when I bought it in ~2007.

I'm looking to buy a new finished body on the Warmoth site, didn't have any luck finding a Fender body in the sea foam color. I don't know the weight of the silver made in mexico body to gauge what my target weight from Warmoth should be. I'm guessing high 4 lbs/maybe low 5 lb range (and need to educate myself more on alder vs ash). I don't have access to the old body at the moment.

Does anyone know what the weight of that ~2006 made in mexico body might be? Looking to replace with something of similar weight. Thanks in advance for any info.

old:
    IMG_0641.

new:
    6BD0D388-D601-4DA3-984F-B171A60AE915_zpscz6wyxsq.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    There is no weight consistency whatsoever when it comes to Mexican Fenders. It's impossible to estimate what the old body weighed. A body weight in the high 4 lb to 5 lb range should give you a finished bass if about 8.5 to 9 lbs and it should balance well.

Another alternative would be to work with the bass you have. Hip shot Ultralight tuners will take a good 6 oz or so off the head to improve balance. Also, a high mass bridge can add several ounces to the bottom of the bass which will also improve balance. Also, you can always put some lead shot on the control rout for extra weight if you had to. It's easier to add weight than to take it away.

By the way, I like the looks of the sea foam bass.

Coldaccord likes this.
  3. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Every tree is unique. The only definite thing you can say about the weight of a piece of wood is how heavy that particular piece of wood is.

Coldaccord likes this.