My one-day stand with the Doctor Q.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 3rdworlder, Apr 20, 2020.

1. As title says. For one day I had a Doctor Q pedal. Could not keep it. And it's funny, even though all of the bad reviews I still decided to give it a chance. I traded it for an Ibanez PH7 Tonelok six-stage Phaser, which I believed to be too harsh for my sound. I thought some funky filter would be fun to use, specially with the lockdown we are all into these days. The EHX thing was super nice, literally new in box, with paperwork all mint. Unfortunately, once tested in my pedalboard I was gutted with the first lick "What have I done!? The Ibby wasn't too bad, was it!". :eek:

The Electro-Harmonix Doctor Q pedal is way too weak, and it requires lots of gain to activate the sweep, and when you get there it's just a swoosh that goes right after each note you play. I'm positive this wasn't modified, it's just the way it is. Not a way that I could use it. The Electro-Harmonix Bassballs runs circles around the Doctor Q anytime!

Still, I am not frowning at all, as the day after I traded my Ibby for the Doctor Q I got in touch with a guy who took the same Doctor Q + 30 bucks cash in exchange for a Script MXR Phase 45. And now I'm in Phase heaven with this thing! This sharp orange pedal delivers honey sweet tones from the guitar and even more with the bass. I fell in love with it instantly! If you ever have the chance to try one of these do yourself a favor and try it. Doesn't sound as crazy as the Phase 90, and not as harsh and icy as my old Ibanez. It is sweet, kinda subtle, and goes great with a lil overdrive.

All in all, I would not recommend the Doctor Q pedal at all. If it ever cross your mind, then try it, but I doubt there are worst Envelope followers than this one. I am surprised a huge name like Electro Harmonix is behind it. Very much.

So here's my magic carpet as of April 2020.

YEhkSEB.jpg

Y'all stay safe and have a good week! :thumbsup: :bassist:

Goatrope likes this.
  2. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I’m always surprised to see EHX are still selling these. Dr. Q was my first pedal ever (it was ~1977?). Even as a beginner I found it novel but impractical. I bought it at a shop in Ann Arbor MI along with BassBalls, a Dan Armstrong Blue Clipper, and Orange Squeezer. I had no idea what I was doing. :laugh:

I think I ended up giving the Dan Armstrong pedals to my buddy and tossing the EHX pedals in a drawer, where they remained for a couple decades, until I tossed them out.

Live and learn!

3rdworlder likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021