Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My opinion of the OLP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jappy, Jan 6, 2003.

1. jappy

jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    I just got a brand new black OLP mm2 today in the mail from UPS. I was supposed to get it by christmas but it was damaged in shipping so I sent the 1st one back. Anways, I opened up the box and found a very pretty bass laying inside. I quickley tuned her, and then plugged her in to find a sound which was EXACTLY like my friend's SR5 IMO. I can't get enough of this bass. The only thing I didn't like was the white pickguard. So I did the best I could and took a chunk of dark gray cardboard and traced a pickguard out and hacked away for an hour to perfection. The pickguard made this bass BEAUTIFUL. It is the most stunning bass i've ever owned or saw in person. Another thing I dont like is the maple neck. The maple is too light of a shade for my liking and just seems too white overall. This OLP bass has one of the BEST sounds i've ever played on a bass (or heard!).

It's VERY clear that this bass is just plain AWESOME for slapping from the moment you plug it in. I wouldn't say that this bass is too versatile though. It mainly has one sound. If you toy around with the tuning knobs though you can get even a nice p-bass tone out of it. I played this bass for about 4 hours on end without it ever going out of tune or anything.

I would definately recommend this bass to anyone. Whether you're a beginner, expert, or just someone looking to try something new, you should definately buy this bass.

Thanks for reading!

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Congrats on your new bass. I love getting new gear.
    I've considered getting one of these and putting a moses graphite neck on it, but I'm concerned about the bridge, because I don't know how many aftermarket stingray bridges are manufactured. I would also overhaul the electronics too.

Dirk

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've thought about doing the same as you dirk, but I'm too lazy to bother with the routing that always seems to be necessary for the extra electronics.