My opinion with Ibby Powerspan Pickup and Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Yahboy, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Have a great deal from my local GC , the NOS Rosewood finger board SR300E in Iron Pewter.

With all flat onboard preamp setting, the Tap mode sound weak and thin; the Series mode sound louder with MID punch and the PowerTap bump some amount of Low/ Hi with little MID scoop.

After spend some time to tweak the bass tone, i found the combination of Powerspan, preamp and 3 ways tab switch is the jewel of this bass guitar. Below is my tone setting opinion share.

Tap mode
    Increase the onboard Preamp Bass around 30%, both MID and Treble keep noon. I get sweet both pup Jazz bass like sound, old school P vibe with neck pup and honky-bite J sound with bridge pup.
    Increase the Preamp Bass 30% also increase the output which i found equal to Series and Powertab in flat EQ.

Series mode
    The Series mode make me a surprice. Keep both Bass and Treble on Noon, decrease around 30% on MID , only Neck pup solo . An aggressive finger pluck above the Neck Pup create me a sexy Epi Thunderbird solo neck pup sound !!!!!
    Honestly , i love the new Epi thunder Bird Pro IV neck pup solo sound but i meet neck dive problem in my previous test drive at GC.

PowerTap mode
    Decrease the MID around 30%, keep both Bass and Treble on Noon, overall tone remind me the D'marzio Ultra Jazz pup voice.

** the string i use on the bass is GHS PW7200.

Thks for reading.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Inara and Killed_by_Death like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I got a look at the switch in there this morning & it boggled my mind just a wee bit. I think it's something like G&L's OMG mode that they used to do. There are caps & resistors on the switch's board.

IMG_20181015_103706529.jpg

Does anyone have an idea what the Power Tap actually does?

Yahboy likes this.