1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my Orange AD200B Unofficial Manual

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boroman, Apr 28, 2009.

1. boroman

boroman

Apr 27, 2009
    boro
    http://www.dustblow.com/ad200b

...for those interested in everything about this amplifier - tubes, biasing, connecting different speakers, technical info, etc. - Hope you like it -

As you may know, this amplifier does not come with ANY manual, also, there's no info on biasing... and if you use web-bias-calculators you'll not get right voltage from that (about 2x higher)! Remember! So here's one. Excuse my bad English.

If you have any adds, we can discuss it here and put some corrections into this one :)

/gsb

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I am surprised no-one has replied to this so I will - thanks very much Boroman. You have obviously spent a lot of ime on this and provided a great service. I have been looking at buying an AD200B and this is a considerable help as I contemplate a decision. Either way I have downloaded it for future reference. The only thing that bothers me is whether or not it has sufficient "loud clean" for me.

3. Good lad!

You, my friend, are a legend!

Nice one!.

Dan.

4. CONGRATS!! AN interesting read & I dont even HAVE a AD200- I'd LIKE one.....

Well done!!!!

5. adam precision

adam precision

Mar 26, 2008
    Ireland
    I need to check this out

6. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Wauw!

7. boroman

boroman

Apr 27, 2009
    boro
    Hey, Thanks!

Tim, it isn't the cleanest amp I've played ;) Especially if you have a high-output bass. I've tried it with vintage precision basses and it sounds clean to good practice/small gig volume, it stays a little "Creamy" when pushed hard and get a nasty overdrive when it's more than 3/4 volume. I LOVE that cream tones and little dirt when i hit my bass hard - this amp does great job with it.

I tried it with passive vintage Telecaster Bass (yes, this one with humbucker) and it distorts very, very early, even connected to Active input.

I put JJ KT88's in my AD200, but I didn't heard more headroom or "more clean watts". It's just more creamy than 6550's which were rather "dirty" than smooth.

PS: I haven't played it on gig on more than half voume and half gain. And it was painful LOUD then, with Ampeg 8x10.

8. lovelyrita

lovelyrita

Apr 7, 2009
    Berlin

Are you completely sure about what you say of the equalizer? Passive does not ALWAYS mean subtractive, as far as I'm concerned.

9. boroman

boroman

Apr 27, 2009
    boro
    I've been told that EQ in this amplifier works like old Fenders (don't remember which ones, a Twin? a Super Reverb?) which had passive-substractive EQ's.

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Another thanks to boroman for this work!!!

11. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks! I can't believe I missed this thread before.

12. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The only detail I have doubts about is the eq. I'm sure I've read somewhere reliable that the flat settings for bass, mid and treble are about 8, 12 and 8 o'clock, respectively. Can anyone confirm?

13. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    There's a post on TB somewhere about the 'flat' EQ on the AD200B. It's passive, but it's not fully subtractive.

Edit: I recall the 'flat' setting on the bass knob being 3/4

14. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    This is it!
    quote=xsubs;6522899]I had posted this before on another Orange thread, but since it came up again...
    The info is from Will at Orange, regarding the eq position for "flat". It's a bit surprising... cut from his email to me:

Bass - 3/4 up

Mid - 1/2 up

Treble - 1/4 up

Will Loftin | Technical Manager
    Orange Music Electronic Co.
    2065 Peachtree Industrial Court | Suite 208 | Atlanta, GA | 30341

15. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    Boy you're good Morris... that was quick!
    Cheers
    Sean

16. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    Thanks so much for this!

17. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Sorry to play the necromancy card, but is this information still available anywhere? Link is broken.

C.

18. Lomo seems to have missed you, maybe PM him.

19. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Oct 12, 2006
    Metro Motown
    The Truth Is Out There
  20. thamuz

thamuz

Jan 9, 2010
    Do someone have unofficial manual saved? Link which was postod by boroman isn't working. Thank you in advance!