1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My own bass showdown

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hey guys

I am ITCHING for a new bass. I only play fingerstyle jazz and funk and I do NOT have a ****load of cash! Having said that, my current GAS's are the G&L Tribute L2000 / 2500, the Lakland Skyline 44-01 / 55-01, and the Fender Marcus Miller.

I have tried the L2500 and let me tell you, I love it! Sounds like a jazz or a funker or a rocker depending on what you do with the plethora of switches.

I have not yet gotten a chance to play the 44-01 or 55-01. Should I give these basses a chance? I've heard they are an even nicer bass than the G&L but I have no experience on it, and there are no dealers near me.

The Marcus Miller speaks for itself. Great tone imo.

But I'm completely lost as to WHICH bass I should get! I am aware I shouldn't buy a bass without holding it in my hands... so whaddaya think?

2. I used to own a Marcus Miller bass, now I own a Lakland 44-02. I think the Miller sig. is a really good Jazz-bass. But the Lakland feels more allround. I can get the Miller tone out of my Lakland, but I can´t get the Lakland tone out of the Miller Bass. I have only tried one Lakland, its awesome. I have tried three different Miller basses. One of them was the best Fender I´ve ever played. My old bass was nive to play, but it didn´t feel solid enough for me. Bad assembling maybe? The third one, as soon as i picked it up, i felt that this bass is not a good bass. From my experience i would go for the Lakland Skyline. If you wan´t a sound sample of my bass go here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/myspojkarnamusic.htm

Good luck

3. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i own an american made G&L bass, not one of the tributes...but, the tributes are nice too. my suggestion would be to check music stores around you and see if they have any used G&L basses in. you can usually find a used american G&L for about the price of a new tribute bass but the american ones have been hand made on fender avenue and just beat the tributes in many ways. the used price of G&L basses is on the rise it would appear, but they can be had for pretty cheap. thats just my $.02

4. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    With-in the last year I bought a used G&L L 2500 (US) and a used Lakland 55-02 (Korean). I got the G&L for $800 and the Lakland for $500.

They are both great basses. The Lakland is probably a little more flexable, but the G&L has massive punch! There is a discussion forum on G&L's web site, and a lot of those guys own the Tributes. Go there and get the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on Tributes. I have never played a Tribute, so no help there. But you can probably pick up a US made G&L for close to the price of a Korean LakLand. Also the Dudepit has both Lakland and G&L sites.

Lakland customer service seems to have a better reputation than G&L

Mark

deManBass

5. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    idsay they are probably about on par. G&L's customer service is excellent...check out the dude pit G&L forum (http://p219.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm44) as well and the www.guitarsbyleo.com forums.