Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My own bass showdown

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hey guys

I am ITCHING for a new bass. I only play fingerstyle jazz and funk and I do NOT have a ****load of cash! Having said that, my current GAS's are the G&L Tribute L2000 / 2500, the Lakland Skyline 44-01 / 55-01, and the Fender Marcus Miller.

I have tried the L2500 and let me tell you, I love it! Sounds like a jazz or a funker or a rocker depending on what you do with the plethora of switches.

I have not yet gotten a chance to play the 44-01 or 55-01. Should I give these basses a chance? I've heard they are an even nicer bass than the G&L but I have no experience on it, and there are no dealers near me.

The Marcus Miller speaks for itself. Great tone imo.

But I'm completely lost as to WHICH bass I should get! I am aware I shouldn't buy a bass without holding it in my hands... so whaddaya think?

2. I used to own a Marcus Miller bass, now I own a Lakland 44-02. I think the Miller sig. is a really good Jazz-bass. But the Lakland feels more allround. I can get the Miller tone out of my Lakland, but I can´t get the Lakland tone out of the Miller Bass. I have only tried one Lakland, its awesome. I have tried three different Miller basses. One of them was the best Fender I´ve ever played. My old bass was nive to play, but it didn´t feel solid enough for me. Bad assembling maybe? The third one, as soon as i picked it up, i felt that this bass is not a good bass. From my experience i would go for the Lakland Skyline. If you wan´t a sound sample of my bass go here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/myspojkarnamusic.htm

Good luck

3. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i own an american made G&L bass, not one of the tributes...but, the tributes are nice too. my suggestion would be to check music stores around you and see if they have any used G&L basses in. you can usually find a used american G&L for about the price of a new tribute bass but the american ones have been hand made on fender avenue and just beat the tributes in many ways. the used price of G&L basses is on the rise it would appear, but they can be had for pretty cheap. thats just my $.02

4. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    With-in the last year I bought a used G&L L 2500 (US) and a used Lakland 55-02 (Korean). I got the G&L for $800 and the Lakland for $500.

They are both great basses. The Lakland is probably a little more flexable, but the G&L has massive punch! There is a discussion forum on G&L's web site, and a lot of those guys own the Tributes. Go there and get the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on Tributes. I have never played a Tribute, so no help there. But you can probably pick up a US made G&L for close to the price of a Korean LakLand. Also the Dudepit has both Lakland and G&L sites.

Lakland customer service seems to have a better reputation than G&L

Mark

deManBass

5. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    idsay they are probably about on par. G&L's customer service is excellent...check out the dude pit G&L forum (http://p219.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm44) as well and the www.guitarsbyleo.com forums.