Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My own School of Rock!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Jun 29, 2005.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Every summer I get a couple of Day Care centers who want to bring the kids by my store for a field trip. I talk to them about how sound works (well as much as you can explain that to a 1st grader), how electric, acoustic, and bass guitars work, etc. They usually only have about 30 mins or so that they can hang out here, I give them all a couple of picks and some other goodies, and then they leave.

Well, this morning I had a group of about 20 K-5th graders in here. Once I got done with my "And that's how all this stuff works blah blah blah" speech I looked at one of the instructors and she said they still had about an hour or so until the bus came to pick them back up. OOOOOPS!

So I did something that I haven't done with these groups before. Upstairs we have a small stage that we use for clinics, jam sessions, etc. so I took all of them up there gave all of them shakers and put three on the stage at a time. I gave one an electric guitar (tuned to open D) plugged into a marshall, one of them a snare drum and one of them a 70's Musicmaster Bass (the short scale was just the right size). It was awesome! Even the shyest of kids got up there to rock out. They rotated instruments every couple of mins or so. It was loud and crazy, but we all had a blast.

Ever seen three 9 year olds holding instruments for the first time, standing on a stage for the first time, playing to a group of their peers for the first time? Well, until today, neither had I - It kicked a**.

Sorry, I'm just still amped up from it and thought I'd share. Hopefully all the kids got something out it, cuz I sure did.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That sounds hella fun man! I remember when I though guitars and stuff like that was untouchable when I was a kid...

"OMG I'M TOUCHING A GUITAR RIGHT NOW."

3. Sounds like a great time, thanks for sharing!

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    How absolutely cool of you, sir!

:cool:

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, it was really a good time. I'm a fan of kids, but most of the who went up there just couldn't quit smiling! It kind of made me appreciate what gift music is. They all had this "I'm actually making music" wow'd expression on their faces.

Then I let them keep the shakers and picks - you would have thought I had given them each $1,000.

It's funny because I was kind of dreading the whole thing. I had other things to take care of this morning before I opened up that I had to push off till tomorrow, so I was kind of in a sour mood, but I'm really really glad they were here. It totally made my day :)

Kids are awesome. Music is awesome. I love life.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You're my hero! Imagine how inspired those kids must be! You probably created at least a half dozen serious musicians! :bassist:

7. you're so rad! :D
    thats totally wicked man. i salute, yi! :hyper: