Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My P-bass ain't playin' good

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Jan 30, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I made a thread a while back stating I had problems playing my P. I had it looked at and nothing is wrong with the neck or the build or anything. But unlike my Ibanez, when I play the strings with any amount of force above a patsy the strings just sound real buzzy and poppy and won't go any damn where. This has happened with low and high gauge strings. I am at a loss. To be clearer again, when I play the strings moderately hard, the sound it makes can hardly be called music and I hate it. I can't figure out the problem. I have had suggestions of filing frets and raising up action, etc. I dont know though. Help please

2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    COME ON HELP!

3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    id take it to a pro. i had a similar problem with my e string, it turned out the set up was wrong down by the bridge, not to mention the string itself was defected. i think, or hope anyway, that your problem is not serious and can be easily repaired.

4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Quintar, a pro is the one who set it up, and it acts this way with all strings. My only estimation is that the set up isn't right for me, but is nonetheless set up properly. Anyway, I don't know what to do. Thanks though.

5. It could be a number of things, can't tell without looking at it, but it may be that your neck is too straight, i.e. not enough relief. Try loosening the truss rod a quarter turn at a time. On the other hand, you could have the same problem I had, and the fingerboard has dove-tailed, neccessitating a complete planing job. The good news is, after I had it done, I have never had another neck problem with it.

6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    To clarify:
    the strings act like they dont wanna go anywhere....POP