Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My P-Bass died, I need it for tomorrow, help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by django, Feb 24, 2005.

1. django

django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tomorrow I have a studio session and today my MIM P-bass started to act wierd. The sound went off and then came on again. I first thought it was the cable but the problem remained after I changed cable. It seemed like when I tapped the pickup i could get the sound on or off. Now it´s completely dead. I figure its the pickup. How do I know for shure? I´ve checked the solderings visually and they seem ok. Can I check with an volt meter in some way?

If it´s the pickup, can you recommend a replacement. The local shop has a dimarzio, and a mid 70´s fender.

Very grateful for any help!!

2. django

django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve only owned for 3 days. Bought it second-handed, so I really cant say for how long it worked fine.

All connections look good, none is loose. Do you think resoldering everything will do any good? I was more thinking if there was away to check if the pickup is working, like with an volt-meter or something.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    3 days? I say bring it back to where you bought it from and hackle them.

But on the other hand, i'm not too sure.

4. django

django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think I've fixed it, but I dont know how. I localized the problem to one of the cables (the white one) coming from the bridge pickup. I could make the sound go on/off by moving this cable around. So I thought there must be a bad soldering at one end, but everything looked fine, perhaps the cable is somewhat loose inside the p/u but thats impossible to say. After I put it together it works. So now I just cross my fingers :meh:

Thanks for the quick help anyway!

5. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    That very well could be the pickup. BTW, is you pbasswired correctly? Look at fender's mr gearhead schematics?
    My Squire pbass had the cap wired wrong >(

6. Usually you can isolate which end of the wire is loose by holding it down in the middle and then wiggling either end.

If it is loose, which it sure sound like it is. Take it to a guitar tech in a music shoppe and have it sorted out. Make sure that you provide him with as much information as possible to make his life easier (ultimately yours too).

Don't leave your bass like this it will fail you down the road sooner or later.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the connection could *look* to be solid, but be dodgy.
    If it's a cold solder joint, you can get osme of the problems you describe. If the solder at where the wire meets the lug is dull, you have a cold solder joint. This happens usually when you melt solder and let it flow over the cold wire rather than heating the wire until the solder melts over it.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Believe it or not, it could have come from the factory bad. Yea, sometimes they don't always solder them quite right. David's advice is dead on. Being the nut that I am, I would probably reflow all the solder joints just to be sure.

9. django

django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for the advice. I will look into that after this weekend. Right now I´m just glad it works and hope it will continue (knock on wood) to do that during this weekend´s session. To bad if a big company like Fender make cold solder joints... Maybe youre better off building your own basses soon.

I also discovered that that nice ash looking, almost grain free, body wood is just a veneer on top of a much more grainy other slab of wood (alder?). cheep :( But thats what you get with a MIM I figure. Anyway it feels and sounds awesome. But I think the pups are rather hot, especially compared to my Epi Thunderbird, which I thought would be humbucking hot. Maybe I should consider replacement pickups afterall?