Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My P-bass is really p!$$!nG me off!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, Apr 30, 2001.

1. My bass used to be just fine, then all of the sudden it just started buzzing like crazy. I tried raising the action, but it was too high to be playable and still buzzed, so I took it to the local guitar tech. He adjusted the truss rod and action. When I got it, it was perfect, but it buzzed just a little too much in the lower frets. Not a big deal. I just let it go because I didn't want to mess it up. Then, ALL ON ITS OWN, the action just decided to piss me off and get higher. Now it buzzes like a beotch in the higher frets and still gets higher. When I lower it, it just buzzes even more and keeps getting higher. I'm getting ready to use this thing as firewood and get a new bass.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Things to take into consideration:
    -Could you have possibly started picking harder?
    -Do you have new/good strings on it?
    -Are you sure you're in tune, sometimes basses can slip out
    -Did you raise your pups? If you play with low action sometimes your strings will rattle against your pups.

Not meaning to make you sound/feel dumb, but that's some of the things I've found to make sure of when you're getting buzz.

4. i do em one at a time, and the strings are the EXACT same gauge as the previous ones.
    I dont know what to do. Do you think the neck is warped?

5. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Well this happens alot this time of year when the the weather changes and the humidity in the house changes.Remember these instruments are made of wood.Sometimes once the heater in the house isnt on and drying out the house the moisture in the house goes to what ever it is outside.I keep a digital humidity guage in the house year round and keep levels aceptable to wood 42% - 49%.I would take the your bass back to the guitar tech and have him set it up again,and dont acept a little buzzing.When you change strings you need to use the same guage and change them as the above post describes.If you bought different guage strings then all the work the tech did was useless and your intonation is off.

6. Oops! I forgot to answer Crawling Eye's question about picking harder. No I haven't started picking harder. And even when I play <b>VERY</b> softly, it still buzzes! I think its time for Mr. P to meet Mr. Mallet!

7. Taking it back to the tech seems like the obvious advice, but I'm going to suggest you take a close look at the thing yourself. I took a metal yard stick and cut it down so it can lay right against the frets from the nut to the body end of the neck. This shows you if the neck is bowed and which way. Either way can cause fret buzz. If all of the strings are buzzing when fretted and not buzzing when plucked open, then it's probably not the nut. Your deal sounds like a matter of set up. Truss rod tweakage and saddle height. A tech can do it for you, but I think it's worth learning to do yourself. Check out the Set Up forum.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You probably aren't pressing down on the fret hard enough. This is the leading cause of fret buzz. I don't think it's the instrument...i neck just won't start buzzing like crazy in one day. Well, unless you go from say Arizona to the Bahamas with it!

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    hah, I wonder why everyone else forgot of that? I recall that happening to me the first week I started playing, and ever since I - if anything press down too hard now... But that's something to be taken into consideration also, if you just bought the bass, and just changed strings, some strings are lighter, some are heavier, all strings need to be broken in though. (they stretch as you put them on, meaning that you go out of tune the first few times you change them)

10. Hey people, it was also buzzing alot when i slapped.

But then I saw the light.

On the bridge, I tightened these screws as much as they would go, and it allowed me to lower the action and not have buzzing on the lower frets. I'm thinking of changing that stupid hunk of ass bridge anyway...It still buzzes on the very high ones, but you cant hear it through the amp, but it's still annoying as hell. My action is VERY low now, and not much buzzing at all, except in the upper frets which a mentioned... I'm probably gonna just accept it, bcuz i dont feel like paying another 25 bucks. I will definately try the yard stick thing.

11. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    My bass started buzzin like crazy over-night last week, huge humidity/heat change in my room. A little neck tweak was all it took to get it working just fine

12. Also, your tech may have over tightened the tross rod and it may have snapped, stripped, or slipped. This would cause your action to rise overnight and would also cause buzzing. IMO, taking it back to the tech and telling him/her they may have messed up is good advice. They should not charge you to check there own work.