My P-Bass Project Idea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jan 9, 2004.

1. So I was thinking of buying a beater P-Bass locally, stripping the body and refinishing, getting a nice Warmoth neck with black inlays and binding, and drop a Lindy Fralin pup in.

Whatcha think?
  2. Sounds cool, just make sure A: The P-bass body you get is an exact fender copy, otherwise the neck might not fit the body.

B: If your going to put a 200 plus dollar neck on something and a nice pickup, make sure the body is a nice tone wood. If your going for classic sounds, alder would be preferable.

Alot of "beater" basses have a simple laminate body, and although they can sound good, why spend all that for an amazing quality neck to slap it onto a less then steller body.
  3. Good Points!

I was actually thinking of a beat up Pawn Shop Fender, of which there are plenty around here.

Maybe I'll just get a Warmoth body too. Depends on what I find around here. Its probably the better idea anyhow, heh.
  4. You know, if your planning on stripping the body anyway... why not just buy the warmoth body of your choice? If you finish it yourself it will come out pretty cheap. (depending on finishing method)

If you are going for a natural finish, Swamp ash is light and has a nice grain, but lacks the classic mid thump associated with P-basses.

Best part is if you go through the thrift shop, you can pick out weights and what not.
  5. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    with Warmoth, you could also go with a rear routed onstrol cavity if you like that really clean look of no pickguard. It's a shame to cover up too much of a beautiful finish/wood.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I just put a set of Fralin pups in a MIM pbass I bought used just to mod. I must say it truley sounds excellent, and if I was to take one of my 4 pbasses to a gig it would be the one! I was gassin for a 62RI but not no more!
  7. That may be the route I go ... bet a bass and put the pups in, then later when I have more money, get a jazz neck.