1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My P Bass Upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LuvMusic, Apr 11, 2009.

1. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Well.....I was hoping to buy a new bass this year but as a result of the economy I decided to hold off and "upgrade" my MIM P bass. I love this bass and wanted to give it a new attitude.

So, I had a Lindy Fralin pup installed and then put on a new pickguard.

My trusty P started here.......

IMGP6651.

And transformed into this......

DSCF0734.

The Fralin pup sounds excellent and IMHO the black marble pickguard is the icing on the cake. Couldn't resist sharing.

Cheers!

2. Looks nice!

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    If you add a new bridge that thing will be really bad***.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ummm, what is wrong with the stock bridge? It doesn't look broken to me, and the chrome matches the body :confused:

Great looking bass! IMHO it looked a tad boring before,but that pickguard really adds something.

5. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    That's the exact question I asked myself!

I have a Badass bridge on my Squier VM Jazz and while it did help a little with sustain and maintaining intonation, it wasn't a difference that had an "impact" on the quality of my playing or enjoyment.

I was considering installing a Gotoh 201 high mass bridge on my P. Decided against it because the current bridge works fine....good attack, sustain, intonation and stays in tune well. So, I decided to leave it as is.

This was the first time I changed a pick guard and "Murphy" helped me :eek: .....one of the cutouts for the pup coils was a little small and the pot/input holes were one drill bit size too small. So, it was a good challenge for me and it worked out well with a little filing and drilling!

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it!

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I absolutely hated the stock MiM bridge on my Deluxe Active Jazz, but I sold it too quick to change.

Im agreeing with the new bridge thing, even if just for cosmetics.

7. Very nice! I've got an '03 Inca Silver MIA that I added the same PG to and it really brought it to life.

03complete-side.
    blackice.

8. toshiro94

toshiro94

Apr 10, 2009
    nice! where'd you get the pickguard?

9. Add a bridge cover .... ya won't even see the bridge! :D

10. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Thanks Rusty! FYI, can't see your pics! Also, my bass is actually blizzard pearl which IMHO is very close to inca silver.

I bought it from a fellow TB'er!

That thought has crossed my mind, just hasn't turned into a desire....yet!

11. reno88

reno88 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Atlanta
    good score with the fralins. i added a set to my '72 p, and they're the bee's knees.

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    agree with the cover idea.

And a thumbrest like Rustynuts. I love that thing.

13. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    The comments in this thread made me think about a bridge cover and the result is:

DSCF0743.

Thanks for the feedback.....IMHO the bridge cover suggestion was a good one!!

14. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    looks nice dig the cover

yeah BA bridges are blah to i am a huge fan of 201's tho