Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My parents are nuts!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Get this, since my parents are either A) Making a decent amount of money now that my mom is getting a sizeable steady paycheck or B) Gone bat **** insane... either way, they have decided for Christmas I need a new bass now that I'm a giggin' man. And I'm going to go to a music store to check some stuff out. I've been craving a fretless lately, but my gigs are Classic rock gigs, and I need a solid non fretted first. Also I'd like to increase my range (5 or even 6 would be prefered, none of that John Turner 7 string garbage... I'm not on the quest for the brown note and I'm sure six string sets of strings are hard enough to find/expensive). So here are my priorities on the bass...

1. I don't want to break my parents, they've got 3 kids aside from me, plus tons of other people... I don't know why they are doing this, I might even tell them not to do it. So Under 400... preferably way under. I'm going to pay them some money back next set of gigs, the money is going straight to my dad, no ifs ands or buts.

2. Playability, a nice flat neck with low action capabilities.

3. Nice even tone, my Yamaha has a problem with even amplification of the D and G strings. They get buried at a gig. Also punchy tone. My tone idol would probably be Dirk Lance (Alex whatever) formerly of Incubus on the albums Science and Make Yourself.

4. Number of strings fits in right about here. I'd like a six, if not five, if not four.

Anyone know where I can find my dream (affordable) bass?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also, not to turn this into a recordings thread, but if there are any audio examples/bassists who use this awesome bass. Let me know. Thanks. :)

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I don't think you will be happy having to stick with a fretless as your main axe... Get a nicer fretted, then defrett your yamaha...

Get a MIM fender, get it over with... and have fun toying with the yammerjammer.

4. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    I just picked up a MIM jazz after trying out alot of basses in the 400-500 range. Yamaha's were good and were my second choice but the MIM jazz is great! The tone and punch is awsome and i have played basses up to and over 1000.00 that did not give me the tone and playablity for the $ that the jazz did. Try out diffrent jazzes and find the one you like, the p is ok but good for rock.I feel the jazz has alot more to offer for the buck.:bassist:

5. I'd go with a used Fender Jazz V, you could probably find one for around $400 if not cheaper, or if you don't want a 5, just a MIM or maybe even MIA Fender Jazz.

6. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Blech... the Fender 5 I tried was absolutely horrid. I'd stay away from them if I were you.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I concur. Fender 5's aren't that great- the MIA's are the only playable ones. If you go used, you can get a Spector 5 or 6 string. The Korean models are excellent for the price and ahve a somewhat flat neck. Cort's curbow 6 is also very good for the price, if you don't mind a synthetic body. It can be found used (sometimes new) under $400. I haven't tried any of rondo's HXB's, but I have heard the HXB 5 adn 6 a pretty decent. They come in fretted and fretless as well.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Just to clarify folks, As I posted earlier I'm abandoning hopes of a fretless just yet. It's definatly high on the to get list, but as Mike Monkey said, I don't want a fretless as my main bass.

9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Every time I go into GC(shudder), I always kind of get drawn in by Schecter basses. For some reason they just feel very right, and the construction and sound aint too bad for a mid-low priced bass (about $500). Even though they pretty much exclusively market to the rock/metal crowd, Schecters have a pretty nice EQ section; I was able to dial in some decent sounding slap, funk, and rock sounds. You might want to check them out if you get the chance.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Definitely buy used. Yamahas are good buys for the money. If you are willing to go to the $500-600 range, then I'd highly recommend a Lakland 55-01. You might also look around for used Carvins. You can get alot of bass for the money with a used Carvin.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not to derail this thread, but what are the general thoughts on Dean basses. My cousin works at a music shoppe and he thinks I should buy a Dean.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I also have no problem whatsoever buying used. As long as it's not on Ebay... i've had too many problems on ebay.

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You know, Dean basses are also decent buys. Given that you are keeping the budget low, I would definitely look into Dean.

14. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
  15. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    score a used sr5 for @800 bucks.

16. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    get and mtd kingston 5er, id say thats your hands down best bet for the money.

17. I played one at my local music store and it was just awesome. It's the only one I have played though; maybe it was a good one?

18. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I don't really like Dean basses. Sure, they're pretty, but I'd say at least half aren't even close to the asking price for the quality that you're getting. I second the MTD. You could also go for an Ibanez Ergodyne or used BTB. Have you thought about LTD at all?

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You do realise that 7 string basses normally come with a high F above C don't you??? Also, strings are not that hard to find now that the "Greater than 6" string bass has become more common.. Sure you might not be able to find them at the corner Mom~n~Pop Fender/Peavey hock, but there are several online sources including Musician's Friend and Just Strings..

20. Get an essex jazz and drop in DiMarzio Model J's DP123's. Spend a little more for a kick butt setup. Prob. under $250 total. Save your parents the extra cash.