Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My parents

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Antipop, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Several months ago I moved to be be with my fiancee. This had me go from a $50,000+ job (at 20, with only my High School, this was pretty nice) to a lucky to make it out of poverty job in the same trade... winters are tough for a contract welder up in Canada away from any city really) I didn't care, my heart told me to do something therefore I followed it.
    about a week and a half ago my once promised to marry and I called it quits. Though I am happy I still moved up here and what not, this just added more stress to the financial stress I was having. Depressing really, still going but it was a kick to the ermmm...you know.

Anyways, Valentines day comes by and my parents call me up. I owe quite a few bones on a stack I bought, a few final payments that the winter has gotten the better of me and made me unable to pay... anyways, they told me that they payed off the store for me and I owe them money as a broken hearted valentines present to me.

Though I have to pay them back, they really bailed me out.

I just wanted to say that my parents are the coolest parents ever

just a rant

p.s. my dad once worked 3 jobs so his 3 sons and daughter could play rep. hockey.

Through all the love **** that has been plaguing my mind lately, this was the best Valentines I have ever had.

Parents can really show you that you are loved.

No point to this, just, My parents are better then yours :p

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Always nice to have a family behind you. Sorry about the love situation and the giving up of the good job. Best wishes.

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    That's awesome, now you need to repay them by going to college and getting a better job :).

Then of course buying them a brand new Porsche Carrera GT MSRP'd at $445,000 USD :bag:

4. My parents love what I do (Welding) so they are happy with that (my father is a machinist by trade)

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Well think about it this way, what if you went to college, major'd in business and then started a welding subcontracting company. Then you sold it for a large sum of money, and started another. On the second company, instead of subcontracting you started home building, you profited large, you lead a successfully happy life with 3 kids, your new sexy wife and dog named timothy. Then you thanked your parents for the love they had for you and bought your dad a large array of cars, from this you then left the words of wisdom to your children. You bail them out of a situation when they're 23 and the cycle repeats.

Eh? Think about that one :0.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I grew up thinking my parents were jerks. Once I got a little older, I realized I was the jerk, and my parents were cool the whole time.

-Mike

7. It's a fairly eye opening moment when you realize everything your parents have gone through to keep you in line. I was, uh, a less than perfect child (police came by the house a few times....) that I'm sure gave them fits...but now I thank them everytime I go see them.

Mike

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Dude, my parents go way beyond that. :D

My mom came out to find me once, when I was homeless and peniless, and living on the streets of New York. She wandered the streets till she found me. I'lll never know how or why she did that, all I know for sure is that she loved me very much.

Boy, talk about an eye-opener. I used to think she was a "difficult" person. But after that, her true nature was revealed. :)

9. Exactly with me, until about 2 years ago I couldn't think about anything good about my parents, then I started maturing... My parents were and always will be there

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    It's amazing how long it takes to get that, isn't it?

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    It's a great job. Stick with it if you like it.

(Somehow) I got taken on as an apprentice blacksmith at the beginning of the '90s, but left a few months later to go to college. 15 years later, I'm approaching the sort of wage I could have got after about 5 as a welder, and I have so many debts I don't see any of it.

(that's not an expression of regret, mind you)

12. This isn't going to turn into "My parents are better than your parents cos my Daddy did this......." is it?

13. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Nope. Just making a point about parental "love". It goes way beyond feeding you, and housing you, and so on, till you're of legal age or whatever. Some parents are more "interested" than others that way. My mom flew out three thousand miles into unknown territory, and just started wandering around, 'cause she knew I was "out there somewhere". That's pretty extraordinary, don't you think? :)

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'd say so.

Makes it embarassing when you think back to one of those times when you were younger when you told your parents "I HATE YOU" since they wouldn't let you spend the night at someones house who they didn't know yet.

-Mike

15. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sure 'nuff. :D:D:D

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My parents are all right...

They haven't really had to bail me out of anything.

My mom is there when i need a hug... even though im 17 and i shouldnt need to cuddle with my mom anymore. :p

My dad doesn't punish me. He gives me advice, tells me how to fix it, calls me a dumb sh** and thats that. And he buys me barses. :p