My parts project. Warmoth vs. uscustomguitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Jan 27, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve pretty much decided to build a partsbass. It´s gonna be a vintage looking jazzbass 4-string with splithumbuckerpickups like the ones on the Roscoe Beck 5. Here´s what I have dicided so far:
    Jazzstyle Alderbody in 2-tone sunburst.
    Vintagetinted jazzneck with rosewood fretboard and white blockinlays.
    White pickguard.
    Vintage reverse tuners.
    Pickups by Rio Grande or Bill Lawrence.

Controls vol-vol-tone knobs and two switches for singlecoil-series-parallell-mode for each pickup.

What do you guys think of that?
    Should I go with Warmoth or UScustomguitars?
    Advise and tips are always welcomed!

BTW I´m haveing a really great guitarbuilder build it for me.
  2. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've never dealt with us custom guitars... I believe they are a new company, and I couldn't tell you anything else about them...

I have dealt with warmoth. They are great to work with, they answered all of my dump questions, they provide a great product at what I think is a more than fair price, and they are even helpful when you want to return something... The reps I have talked to are as helpful when you talk to them about at thrift store part as they are when you ask them about a new part.... Great company, and I would do business with them again and again...

BTW, the bass sounds like it could be really cool!

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    A friend of mine used to build ALOT of Warmoth guitars, MORE THAN ME:eek:. Now all he talks about is how awesome USA Custom Guiats is. Personally, I don't think you would go wrong w/either company but LOVE my Warmoth basses!!!!!

P.S. Whichever company you deceide, it sounds like you'll have a KILLER BASS!!!! Good luck.

************Admin's note:************

Nino-Brown's post should appear BELOW pmkelly's. The thread starter is "jock". A server time error caused the mixup.

4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I've ordered from Tommy @ USA Custom a few times this past week, cause i'm putting together two jazz basses, one fretted and one fretless. and i couldnt be happier. Really. Tommy'll do what he needs to do to make sure you get that lightweight 5A quilt topped body no matter what. i'm sure the Warmoth boyz are great in terms of service, but i always like the smaller guys for the real personalized service. besides, i always root for the underdogs. and more competition makes more competitive prices for both you and me! :D
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Has anyone got the url for USA Custom?
  6. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
  7. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Warmoth is a small company.
  8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Having had bad luck with Warmoth repeatedly over the years, I vote for USA Customs. Tommy is a former Warmoth guy, and in my opinion the only reason they've lasted as long as they have. This is not to slam their product, but their customer service. I can name about 6 major bass builders who switched over to Tommy(USA Customs) because he rocks and his product rocks!
    Also, I have always had issues with Warmoth's choice of steel bars in their necks. I don't think it's any better than a good quality wooden neck with graphite bars, and they're WAY too heavy.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wow! I've dealt with Tommy in the past when he was still with Warmoth, and he's great. I like the stuff I'm seeing on the USA site!
  10. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    looks like a lot of the prices on stuff at a glance are pretty close to that of warmoth's...

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Angus, thanks for the link![​IMG]

Yeah. Same prices, less options and selections. Hmm...
  12. That's what I was thinking.:)
  13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have dealt with Tommy at USA Custom- theyre great there- they will go the extra mile.. and you should ask for what youre looking for - i found the beautiful figured madagascar rosewood fretoboard for my MTD 635 there- they will do what they can to make you happy-
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    this is kinda OT:

but i called Warmoth yesterday about their Strat Hollowbodies, but mis dialed and saw the small print phone number of 0406 as 8406. well, this nice and kind elderly lady picks up the phone and says hello. i thought it was a salesperson, but then realized she had no idea what i was talking about. it was the wrong number and turns out that she gets calls from people trying to buy Warmoth stuff, 10-12 times a day!!! i was like, but i did dial the right number, but the print is sooo small on my 1600x1200 monitor, that i misread it. She's asked Warmoth to do something on the site for her troubles but they have yet to budge. freakin' #@$holes.