Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my PC's clock is acting funny... o_O

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi!

So a few minutes ago my mum asked me if I wanted to watch the news, and I looked at the clocl in the lower right corner and i said "Hey it's already late, it's 45!" then I looked at the clock in the room and it showed 31.... Then I double-clicked on it and it's going faster than it should, every second moment the seconds go double speed :eyebrow:

Anyone seen this bug? What to do about it? I re-synchronized the clock, but it is going faster still...

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    a glitch in the matrix.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's the Y2K bug! ahhh!!

You're sure it's the computer clock going faster and not the other clock going slower? non-digital clocks tend to slow down before they speed up(if something is wrong with them) and I've never had any issues keeping time with any computer clock(save for a couple times when the date has gotten screwed up but the time and the interval between seconds has always been solid)

4. it is the internal clock rate of the computer, i have seen it happen and dont know what causes it but its way to techy to explain here and sorry i cant think of an easy fix

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    it's plugged into the mains. And my watch is also good.
    however, the computer clock is visibly going faster.

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No, the windows is not yet brick, but xp :p :smug:

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Now it looks like its going normal, just 5-6 minutes ahead :eyebrow:
    Weird...

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Duh. I always forget about the fact that there is a little battery controlling the clock so that it stays ticking even when there is no power being brought into the computer. That component is likely messed up, perhaps the battery was faulty and died prematurely(by died I mean dying)

9. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    That's what I was going to suggest. A guy at my company had the same problem with his clock about a couple of years ago. I swapped out the battery on the motherboard and everything was fine.

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks, I'll check that

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I think you should go with this explination... Sounds the most logical ;).

12. Sounds like it's time for you to get a new CMOS battery. :)

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Whenever anything goes wrong with my computer, I CTRL ALT DELETE that crap till its fixed... :spit:

Screwy (or at least slow) computer clocks can also mean spyware and or viruses are involved. :ninja: :help: