Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Peavey combo restoration finally completed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andruca, Apr 25, 2005.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I've had this Peavey TKO 80 since the early '90s and in the recent years I decided to restore and upgrade it. Now it's done!

a) Piezo tweeter with on/off switch
    b) Extension speaker out
    c) Casters
    d) Metal grill (gorgeous!)
    e) Camouflage plastic fabric (absolutely wild!)

Enjoy! :D :D

http://www.andresdemarco.com.ar/peavey.html

ANDRUCA

P/S: Also got a TKO 75 yesterday and I plan on doing the same upgrades and refinish, but converting it to a 2x10" (with Eminence Alphas, I think).

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks! Just had to have some entertainment while I join the money for the Schroeder cabs! ;)

ANDRUCA

4. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Very cool, Nice work.
    The extension speaker jack is a must have addition.
    I do that to every amp that has none. and sometines add a preamp out / amp in jack as well.

Good stuff!!!

5. The mods and upgrades seem really useful and worthwhile. I suspect the tweeter upgrade would really wake up a lot of combos that don't have them.

6. Cool man! Love the camo.

7. That thing is beautiful....I wish I had the skills to attempt something like that!

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks guys. I'm glad you like it. I definitely had "flashy looking" in my mind when I decided about the covering. The total cost of all tme mods I did doesn't exceed the 35EUR (around 42$). I know it 'cause yesterday I bought everything for my second one (TKO 75). This time I'll use a compression tweeter instead of a piezo one. It is way more sensitive, but it's surely clearer. If it is too loud I can allways put a resistor in series with the hi-pass cap to attenuate it. This next weekend I'll do the mods on the 75 (except for the 2x10" conversion thing -I'll leave that for the future as I need to carefully choose the drivers-) and then I'll post again.

By the way, Highpines, there's no necessary skill for doing such things. Believe me, I have a brother (1 year younger than me) and he's been always the handy guy at home (me being the useless one :( ). I have no skills at all (except with the sewing machine, no kidding, I use to make my own clothes or modify them for me and my wife ;) -totally unrelated skill as you see-). No need for special tools either (I only used just a drill, a stapler, a saw, scissors, a soldering iron and some screwdrivers). I'll illustrate my next one step by step so you'll see how easy it is!

ANDRUCA

9. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Whered you get that camo covering? And how durable is it?

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I got it in a fabric shop. It's sinthetic (sort of nylon) fabric with a rubber coating in the reverse. It's good it's a nylon thing 'cause it's easyer to clean and sturdy.

ANDRUCA

11. Well, I do have some skills but usually worried to make somrthing worse than it was.........Oh, went to your web sites, good tune samples... site look cool but.....sorry I can't read them :(

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey man, since you speak English and most of us don't speak Spanish, how about a translated page for us TBers? ;)

P.S. Beautiful work man!

13. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks everybody on the compliments!

OK! I'll definitely document my upcoming restoration in english and I'll start working on a (deficient) english version. Gear reviews are exactly what I wrote on Harmony-Central but in spanish. All in all, don't get excited, my site is just verborragic bullsh|t out of my troubled screwed-up mind. By the way, have you seen my wife's photo with Anastacia? Funny! ;)

ANDRUCA

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
  15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Awesome! Great looking amps man! Thanks for the English documentation!

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Nice work! I love Do-It Yourself projects

17. I LOVE this picture. Nothing like using a hammer to make a 3" hole.

[​IMG]

/not poking fun (well, maybe a little ;) ) but I haven't restored any combos, so...boo hiss on me.

btw: Cassius is a cute little pooch. What kind of dog is he?

18. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Yes, I know it looks very bad. I started drilling several holes and then joining them with a saw (couldn't use one of these http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=noNavProcessor&sec=esp&p=spanish/BuyGuide/JigSawBG.html -although I have one-, because as the hole is in the corner, I had no possible access with such a big tool). I did the same with the TKO 80, but looked a little better (just a little -maybe the holes were drilled closer to each other-), despite maintaning the "bit by rats" look. :(

Just for you to figure out how bad was the "incision" made, once it was loose the piece of wood didn't come out pushing nor pulling. Had to hit hardly to remove it (I insist it was completely cut and loose). :bawl:

Maybe I should consider buying these circular saws that can be adapted to the drilling machine.

Anyway, I did mention I'm not the skilled kinda guy! :meh:

ANDRUCA

P/S: By the way, Cassius is an 8 month old Cocker Spaniel.