Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Peavey gave me the hell of a surprise!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andruca, Oct 25, 2004.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    The thing is my band is playing regular gigs at this medium venue in Madrid and the thing is we don't get payed for it so I'm not bringing my big rig (Hartke 3500 head + 215BXL + 4.5XL cabs). But the house's backline sucks big time and bass rig is no exception. It's some 350W Ashdown head with 4x10 + horn Ashdown cab that doesn't even put out 1/10 the volume I get from my Hartke (maybe it's dead due to abuse and negligence). The fact is that it's impossible to hear the bass onstage (and the band isn't sounding loud at all).

So I took this little Peavey TKO 80 combo (75W RMS 1x15" Scorpion + Motorola piezo horn I added) to our rehearsing room and gave it a try, A/Bing it's volume with my Hartke's and (WOW!!!) it sounds almost as loud as the volume I normally use live so problem solved for me!!! I've used newer Peavey combos and was very disapointed and thought "the little Peavey at home eats this one alive" and I guess I'm right. In fact it eats that beaten up Ashdown at the venue. This is an early 80's Peavey and I own it since 1993 so it's over two decades old.

How many of you have such old Peavey combos. Is it mine or they work a lot better than the newer ones (I mean, not the BAM, but the TNTs, TKOs and so)?

ANDRUCA

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The older peavey' 1x15'" combos had Black Widow speakers. Which kicked incomprehensible amounts of ass.

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    But mine comes with a Scorpion!!!! What do newer ones come with?

ANDRUCA