1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Peavey VB-2 bit it today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seedokebass, Jun 3, 2012.

1. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Second song during rehearsal, it was getting quieter and quieter, until there was no sound. All of the power tubes appeared to be glowing, but as it was dying off, one or two of the power tubes was pretty bright orange. Threw it on standby, then turned it off. Tried it again an hour later, still nothing. The thing that confuses me is the power tubes still light up. Couldn't tell if the preamp tubes were glowing with the shields on them.

Did I just smoke my power tubes? I recall reading something on TB about some faulty wiring or something in this amp, maybe that is the culprit? Bad fuse? Help this tube noob out! :eek:

2. Tubes "lighting up" just means you have the low voltage heater circuit operational. They did have some bad High Voltage fuses when they came out. Couple of Peavey people cruise and add to this board. Call them on Monday, they are very good and helpful folks.
    If they don't see your post this weekend. :)

3. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I did find another thread about issues with this amp, and see some other possibilities (from this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/peavey-vbulletin-2-problem-699254/ )

Not sure if I have another 1/4" speaker cable, but I will try another cable when I find one. Also going to try a patch cable in the FX loop to rule that out.

Are the high voltage fuses an internal thing?

4. Yes the HV fuses are inside the case. :)

5. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Sounds like you lost at least one of your power tubes. The high voltage fuse blew, but that was supposed to happen in this case so you didn't lose all of the tubes. It needs to be repaired by a tech.

6. BbbyBld was one of those good people at Peavey I was talking about :)

7. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I see that B!

So Bobby, even if the tubes appear to be lit up, the tube/s I saw get really bright are toast? I was looking at the amp again today while it was powered up, and all 6 power tubes looked normal.

I will be bringing it to a tech sometime soon, probably next weekend. Gigs this week and other obligations. I was really looking forward to using this amp more, it just slays with my DB412 :bassist:

8. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    What you are seeing as "lit up" is just the heater filaments running. It's likely that the tubes that got really bright all need to be replaced, but maybe just one in this case.

9. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    If you have to retube all the power tubes, you might want to consider using either the EH 6CA7 or the JJ 6CA7 power tubes ....when I had a VB-2 I used the JJ 6CA7 and it made the amp a little thicker,beefier sounding