1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Peavey VB-2 has gone MAD!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZanaZulu807, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Last Thursday, I was jamming on my amp and it sounded perfect as usual. When I'm playing by myself before I meet with others I usually set the volume controls pretty low with the master at 1 and the clean gain at about 4-5 to get a mild breakup, but still very clean sounding. When I'm jamming with others, my controls have the master volume at 3 and the clean gain at 6-7 or the overdrive right on 6 so I get a pretty good grumble going but still pretty clean. Yesterday afternoon, I turn it on my low volume settings and the gain is extremely high with virtually all clean headroom gone; the overdrive channel is essentially a Big Muff with it's nuts caught in a sling.

Before looking at the amp, I looked over everything else to see if I set up something wrong. I checked my bass' batteries, changed them out for new ones, all cables are good, so it is the amp itself causing this. Could it be something wrong with the tubes? I swapped them all out last year and I never experienced a problem since. I do play with ALOT of fuzz/dirt pedals though, I don't think that would be the problem though. Any thoughts?

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    First check it with another instrument going straight to the amp.
    If it is the amp, the first thing that comes to mind is that there is an open circuit where the gain of the first stage is set. Bad solder joint or open connector. Could be a tube but probably not. If you have spares swap them in. If that doesn't cure the prob it's time for a tech.

mech

3. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Just to clarify...

Clean gain on 6 and master on 1 = overdriven sound?

What about clean gain on 4 and master on 7...like a normal setting? If that sounds weird:

What happens when you plug the bass into the return jack? That can reveal if it's pre amp or power amp related. If that sounds clean:

Do you have a way to listen to the DI? What does pre/post EQ sound like? If it's the preamp, that can help identify where the problem may be.

4. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I tried it with a passive P-Bass about a half hour ago, still the same results. Yesterday I used my Stingray and I plugged that into a separate combo amp earlier and it sounds good. I was thinking of maybe taking it down to my local mom 'n pop music shop in a few days and trying different cables and basses there, maybe someone there who knows amps could possibly pinpoint the problem.

Good thing is that I'm located in Mississippi and I think the Peavey HQ or factory is located in Meridian. If all else fails with troubleshooting it, I can make the drive over and drop it off. Doesn't someone from Peavey normally post here (BbbyBvld or something like that...)? Maybe I can get some help from him or any others. Hopefully its an easy fix cause I would hate to retube this thing again, it sounds too good.

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    See post # 3

:D

6. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Caught me right in the middle of me typing my previous post, thanks for chiming in man.

And yeah, I normally increase the clean gain over the master volume control to get some sort of drive going, but not alot. But this time around the sound from the amp was extremely overdriven and I couldn't get any clean tones even while playing softly; the overdrive channel was almost uncontrollable. I did try it the other way around with the master over the gain and the sound did smooth out a bit, there still breakup in the sound but not as much.

I didn't get a chance to plug it into the return jack or try any other options, I'll try that tomorrow when I get back to my amp (about an hour away from it now). I did change out a few preamp tubes a few months ago but I changed them back to the originals, if it is the preamp could it be the older tubes running it down? They are only a few years old... I'll run a more thorough check on it tomorrow.

7. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Update...

So I'm here with it now and everything is pretty much the same. I tested the return jack and DI and it all sounds fine, the EQ works good as well, it's just the gain channels seemed to have increased in sensitivity and volume. I may have got used to the sound as it doesn't sound as nearly as alarming as it did on Tuesday. In fact, it all sounds like the notes are a tad crisper and that I may need to play with a lighter touch. I also hooked up my effects to it and the delays and other modulation sounds fuller while the fuzzes and overdrives sound much more aggressive. So did something break and this was how it really was supposed to sound the entire time? :eyebrow: