1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My pedal board doesn't make sound...but it's all good, I think???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Neo1, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Like many, my musical knowledge/beliefs/tastes/"life" have really been influenced by Talkbass (some would say insidiously so). Here's a longish explanation about my pedal board saga, and how the end result wasn't what I expected.

I held off getting pedals for the looongest time. About 3 years ago I bought a Morely ABC switcher, to use with my multiple little 80's GK 200mb combos (I'm a small-time farmer's market kind of player, so it made sense at the time I might move up to needing a bigger sound).

Then it was a boost because my upright needed it (but I don't ever play my upright - oh well, just in case).

Next was a [email protected] switcher, in case I wanted to easily swap from one bass to the next (because who wants to unplug mid-set - the people at the farmer's market might think it unprofessional. I never had more than one bass to swap out BEFORE I started following Talkbass, so go figure, and I still have yet to bring more than one bass to a gig, but that's beside the point).

Soon I started becoming a bit of a Lehle snob. My basses and amps aren't anything rare, but at least my pedals could be quality (more of the TB influence talking there). I upgraded the ABC to a Lehle one, then I found a Lehle Looper so that when I DID get effects, I could bypass them at my leisure.

The tuner was a must-have (inexpensive brand, but I can see it really well), and the HPF was a direct result of TB threads stating I needed one (I explained to my wife how it keeps my practicing more quiet, but I don't think she bought it). Then the volume pedal (also inexpensive, but it seems fine for my livingroom).
    At this point, I hadn't invested too much (all the Lehle products were evilbay - which I have great luck with - just under/over $100 each used and they seem fine), and someone correct me if I messed up by not holding out for a Basswitch, but the uses for mine are already beyond me (how can I begin to understand SGOS Midi stuff: I don't even have a cellphone?). I also upgraded my cables over time, and FINALLY...

...decided it was time to buy a pedal that would change my sound/tone. So I saw a Talkbass cheap deal thread and got a DOD Boneshaker. And while it was OK for what it was, I realized I didn't really get into changing my tone too much. Maybe it's because I play mostly 60's-70's covers (yup, at the farmer's market).
    And then I went to a clinic by Victor Wooten (again, TB influence at work), who wowed me with his use of a looper pedal, so I got one of those. And while it was OK for what it was, I realized I'd rather play along to music than create my own.

So, I'm left with one pedal board that doesn't do much other than help me tune up (though is capable of much more), and another pedal board with two pedals (the boneshaker and looper) that never sees the light of day. Part of me thinks the Talkbass influence has led me to create a board for a big-time gig that I'm not really looking for/expecting. And I’m not anti-pedals (look at how many I already have!). I just think my pedal path has led to a different end than the majority. I'm not discouraged - I actually like my sound. But am I misguided, crazy, and/or alone in my use of gathering pedals despite not adding much to my sound?
    Board 1.jpg Board 2.jpg

Karlson541, Robertron and Phe like this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    This is possibly the most weird post I've ever seen in the Effects forum in the 13 years I've been on TB! There is a lesson to be learned here...if you're going to buy pedals, have a clear purpose. You have some very fine pedals, but the way it sounds, you're making contingency plans for something that's never going to happen. On the bright side, if you ever do plan to bring three basses or your upright, you will be covered :D

3. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    “Create a board for a non expecting gig”... jezzz :rollno:

4. You read the situation EXACTLY as I do (contingency plans captures it nicely/more concisely). But I have to believe others here gather gear (GAS-influenced or not) because they "might" end up using it as they move on to bigger gigs/playing situations. For me, after playing one bass and amp a few years in the 1980's (never a gig) and putting them away, I started again seriously about 4 years ago, playing about an hour a day, playing an occasional duo gig, buying gear, and making a half-hearted attempt to find a full band (I'm in my 50's w/a full-time job). As it is, I REALLY enjoying what I'm doing now with my bass and not feeling left out. And I still have an idea that someday I may join up with a full group. Among all the bass/gear hoarders here, am I the only one who gets things "just in case" I might actually need/use them?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    JimmyM and hrodbert696 like this.
  5. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Pedals are there to change your sound. If they don't do that they have no purpose and just complicate your life.

Do you have a proper preamp for your upright? instead of a boost it may need a 10megohm input to match the pickup (esp. piezo) to your amp input level. These can range from simple fdeck to hundreds of dollars. More than just boosting the signal, it can improve your tone dramtically (I learn this everytime I forget to set mine up properly).

My new pedalboard has a compressor, octave, envelope, flanger/phaser/chorus, OD and hppf/lpf. I started it with no real purpose but low and behold I find it now fits in my band perfectly.

Much more fun that pedals that don't do anything. Now the thing to realize is that 1) IMHO it takes some considerable time with each pedal to learn how to use it and sound good and 2) sometimes you but a pedal without really knowing how or when you will use it or after learning it you use it differently than you thought.

Neo1 likes this.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I blame it on the farmer's market.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  7. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I've played at the farmers' market many time but we keep it simpler and more acoustic there

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Are you in Amish country?

9. I have something called "The Realist" on my upright (purchased through Talkbass classifieds). We bought the bass for my son, who has moved on to other instruments, but I keep thinking (again, that contingency idea) that I'll start practicing on it, so I haven't sold it. I also have compressors on the amps (GK 200mb combos) that I do use somewhat. The upright sounds fine (though I don't practice with/play it).

Because I only play with acoustic guitar players (or along to songs on my mp3 player), my attempts at adding different tones seem too brash. It could also be that most of the time I'm playing along with songs that have mellow bass lines. I definitely back your idea that one may buy a pedal without knowing exactly what the end use will be (and maybe I will eventually do much more with them). I blame myself before TB, but until I started on TB, I didn't ever think I needed any extra gear, nor know what was even out there.

jthisdell likes this.
  10. What do all these Lehle pedals do? Loopers and selectors? How did you come to need 4 on the same board with only one effect?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You are certainly not the only one who does it. And you don't have to justify your purchases to anyone who isn't married to you. But you did go for the gross overkill, no doubt about it. Still, if you're having fun and you can still pay your mortgage and put food on the table, knock yourself out.

Neo1 likes this.
  12. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    No, bluegrass country so when my 60's band that is evolving into a Dead band plays the market we go acoustic

13. Thanks for the laugh you gave me today.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021